none
Problems with report specs not working RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone ever lost the report spec for certain canned reports, but only for certain .mpp files? I have a pretty large (about 900 line) .mpp file Project 2010 Pro. I run the to do reports every week for my team. They stopped working for this file only (of course, the one I need them for!) However these reports work for other project files. And other reports work fine. I have to copy and paste the entire schedule into an empty mpp file to run them. It's cumbersome. I can't save it to the new file because it loses the cost and the resource details, and it doesn't carry the baseline over. Help would be appreciated!
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:34 PM

Answers

• Hi John

THANKS! It appears I have my baseline information (not available in the project stats but still in my schedule) - I do always have an overall project milestone above all the others, so I did have the top level consolidated baseline already - just didn't know it until I showed those columns.

So thanks to you and Dale and Andrew I am all set!

I sure appreciate the help. Do you like Organic food?

LOL

Thank you again - Nanc

Nancy J. Olson
    Monday, October 10, 2011 7:52 PM

All replies

• NancOrganicValley,

If I understand you correctly the file itself appears to be fine, it's only the To Do report that doesn't work. Correct? What exactly happens when you attempt to run the To Do report? Do you get the message box asking for the using resource? If not, I suspect the built-in using Resource filter is damaged or corrupt. Try using the Organizer to transfer the Using Resource filter from your Global file to this file.

If you do get the message box, what happens after you enter the resource name?

John

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Hi John- Thank you kindly for responding. The To Do report and the Who does what when reports both do not work. They do skip the message box asking for the resource (on the to do report). Both of them default over to the Project Summary report.

I did take your advice and found the organizer and copied over the Using Resource filter (the first one of the two) it wouldn't let me copy the second. I then saved, exited, reopened and tried it. That didn't work.

So I copied over the report spec for the to do list report, with a new name. It wouldn't let me save over the same name.

I still have the same problem...

Thanks for helping out - if you have any other insights I sure would appreciate it!

If It is better for me to copy over to a new file, and there's a way to copy over my costs/resources/baseline, I'd be good doing that too!

Nanc

Nancy J. Olson
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Have you checked that you're patched to the latest and greatest version of
    MS Project?  There've been known issues with custom reports in the past.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Nancy --

Andrew is totally right.  You need to download and apply Service Pack 1 to your copy of Microsoft Project 2010.  The issue you are describing is a documented bug that is fixed in SP1.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Thanks Andrew and Dale. Can you tell by this info if I have the latest? Also, it wasn't a custom report I had probs with - it was the basic to do....I run each week for my team, by member.

Project 2010 (14.0.4751.1000) MSO (14.0.6106.5005)

Thanks again!

Nanc

Nancy J. Olson
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Nancy --

No, you do not have Service Pack 1 installed.  If you did, you would see that information listed in the line you just quoted from the About Microsoft Project dialog.  Since I have both SP1 and the latest cumulative updates installed (August 2011 is the latest CU, by the way), my information line for Microsoft Project 2010 shows the following information in the dialog:

Project 2010 (14.0.6109.5000) SP1 MSO (14.0.6106.5005)

So, get your Microsoft Project 2010 updated with at least SP1 with all due haste, young lady!  :)

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Dale,

I don't normally keep up with all the update fixes but I just took a look at the .xls file of Project 2010 SP1 fixes and I didn't see this issue listed. Perhaps it was fixed in a previous update? The list does indicate that some previous fixes are detailed in the list.

Also, Nancy seems to indicate in her original post that the reports were working up until just recently. That sounds more like something got corrupt than a basic flaw that was fixed by an update. Anyway, it will be interesting to hear back after she installs the update.

John

Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Hi Guys

Well, I installed SP1 and unfortunately, it didn't fix this problem. Both reports (to do and who does what when) still default to the Project Summary report and the to do does not ask me which resources I want to use so that resource filter is not working for this file.

Is there a way for me to copy the resources, costs and baseline over to a make a new file in project with the same content?

Also, I have about 1100 lines in it - but when the problems started I had about 800. I don't know if hitting a certain size made the difference.

These reports work with other data files in project - this one is the only one which appears corrupted (and any other names I change it to don't make a difference).

Thank you again most kindly!

Nanc

Nancy J. Olson
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Nancy,

Okay, back to square two. We have actually made some progress so we are beyond square one. In my opinion something is corrupt. And no, the file size should have nothing to do with the reports working or not.

Do you have custom views, tables, filters, etc.? The reason I ask is because the procedures I'm going to suggest next may delete your custom settings but there are ways to get around that.

First, let's try resetting your Global file. But first, open the problematic file and use the Organizer to delete anything in the right side (i.e. your file) for Reports (report spec as you call it) and for the filters. Close your file and save. Now let's reset your Global.

1. If you have a standard configuration with Windows 7 you will find your working Global at, c:/users/[your name]/App Data/Roaming/Microsoft/MS Project/14/1033.

2. Drag that to the trash OR, rename it something like GlobalOLD and drag it to your desktop or some convenient location.

3. Open Project. Project will automatically generate a new default Global file.

4. Open you file and try running the reports. If that works you're there, except you will have to re-generate any custom settings that are not already stored with the file itself.

If the above does NOT work, your file itself is probably corrupt. You asked about a method for copying to another file. Go to the MVP website at, http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm, and take a look at FAQ 43 - handling project file corruption and/or bloat. Use method 4.

Let us know how it works.

John

Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Hi John

Thanks so much. I'm almost there and I think I'll just live with what I have.

I tried steps 1-4 and that didn't work, so I do also assume the file is corrupt. So I used FAQ 43 and created a new one.Everything works perfectly except it did not carry over my baseline, so I created a new one.

The last thing I will ask is, if there is any way to import a baseline from an existing project.

I really appreciate your help, as well as everyone else who provided advice and guidance! I sure have learned a lot today!

Cheers - Nanc

Nancy J. Olson

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Nancy,

Which baseline data didn't come through? Do you have multiple baselines set (e.g. baseline, baseline1, etc.)? In a quick test, the baseline data transfers fine when I use method 4 of FAQ 43 on a sample file.

John

Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Hi John

Thanks again for helping! I only had one baseline and it didn't transfer over. When I run the Project stats it is not there.

Nanc

Nancy J. Olson
    Monday, October 10, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Nancy,

Okay, I see what you mean. The detail baseline data is present in each baseline field (i.e. Baseline Start, Baseline Finish, Baseline Cost, etc.), but the statistics under Project Information is still at zero. That's one of the drawbacks in using method 4. I see two options if you really need the top level statistics.

Before you apply method 4, create a top level summary task for your original corrupt file. The task will essentially be identical to the Project Summary Task that you can select under Tools/Options/View tab but this one is something you create at ID 1. Now go through method 4. After you have created the new clean file, the top level statistics will be present on the top level summary line you created. The baseline data in the statistics will still show zero but at least you have the top level data readily available.

A second option may be possible but only if there has been no progress on your plan. That is, after using method 4, reset your baseline on the whole project. That will update the statistics. If your plan has progress, setting the new baseline will most likely be different than the original baseline you set and I'm guessing that's not what you want to see in the project statistics.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, October 10, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Hi John

THANKS! It appears I have my baseline information (not available in the project stats but still in my schedule) - I do always have an overall project milestone above all the others, so I did have the top level consolidated baseline already - just didn't know it until I showed those columns.

So thanks to you and Dale and Andrew I am all set!

I sure appreciate the help. Do you like Organic food?

LOL

Thank you again - Nanc

Nancy J. Olson
    Monday, October 10, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Nancy,

YVWATFTF

(You're very welcome and thanks for the feedback)

Yes I do like organic food but I don't eat it exclusively.

John

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:14 PM