The description for Event ID 59 from source SideBySide cannot be found. RRS feed

• Question

•  I have a rather cryptic error message. A little history first. The laptop has an OEM Vista Home Premium install. Recently, I decided to install the Evaluation build of Windows 7 (Build 7100). After having an issue with the system not shutting down correctly, I ran a system repair then I started to investigate.
    I found a history of critical event logs that pre-date the Windows 7 install.
    ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    The description for Event ID 59 from source SideBySide cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

c:\program files\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search box extension\SRCHBXEX.DLL
    c:\program files\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search box extension\SRCHBXEX.DLL

The locale specific resource for the desired message is not present
    ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Obviously, this all started with Vista. What I can't find is a matching error to explain where the root cause of this issue lays. What function does the SRCHBXEX.DLL serve? Is this a "Red Herring"?
    I have searched several sites; the closest answer seems to be found at
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/pt-BR/InternetExplorer/thread/6e4dcff4-8b67-416c-adbc-77d6cae6563f

this points to AVG as a possible root cause. I do currently run AVG but I ran Norton Internet Security 2009 when the laptop was still Vista. The common thread would seem to be IE 8. There is an additional twist to this to though. I started to use Mozzila FireFox shortly after installing Windows 7 (Instead of IE8)

Confused yet? Me too!
    Any insight would be deeply appreciated!
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 4:36 AM

Answers

• I would report this to the AVG site.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by wiseguystv Saturday, June 20, 2009 10:17 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Is this an Adobe issue? I am getting an error about faulting module srchbxex.dll and IE8 is blowing up. What is the fix?
    Friday, June 19, 2009 8:24 PM

All replies

• I would report this to the AVG site.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Monday, June 15, 2009 1:41 PM
  • OK...I'm a believer. Lets say after filtering my event log, I found many different "Side by Side" event logs since installing this eval build. These errors report
    issues with Adobe;

MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINOR
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll

With ATI drivers;

Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,language="*",processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df",type="win32",version="6.0.0.0"
    c:\program files\ati technologies\hydravision\Grid64.exe

Also; SEPsearchhelperie.dll,
    c:\program files\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search box extension\SrchBxEx.dll

Is there perhaps someone at Microsoft that can make use of these errors?
    I mean, I'm just curious as to what the compatibility issues may be. I can deal with the fallout.

Thank you in advance and still very much enjoying the Evaluation of this build.

Steven C. Wise
    Technician for Wal-Mart ISD,
    Bentonville AR.
    Sincerely,

Steve Wise
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Is this an Adobe issue? I am getting an error about faulting module srchbxex.dll and IE8 is blowing up. What is the fix?
    Friday, June 19, 2009 8:24 PM
  • I don't have a "fix" however; none of the errors I listed have ever noticeably affected my laptops performance. I don't run IE 8 anymore (nothing personal to MS). Firefox has been running smoothly for me. As far as the Adobe error, have you attempted a reinstall of Adobe?  

There is very little information available on this (srchbxex.dll)  that I was able to find. The most interesting, and informative, site I found regarding this is;

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=169029

This seems to have a relationship with C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper, SearchHelper.dll and SEPsearchhelperie.dll.I am continuing to research this and I will let all know what I find.

Steven "wiseguy" Wise

Saturday, June 20, 2009 3:33 AM
  • If your error message message appears something like this;

========================================================================================================

The description for Event ID 63 from source SideBySide cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

assemblyIdentity
    version
    MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINOR

The resource loader failed to find MUI file
    ======================================================================================================

The resolution that worked for me was to uninstall Adobe Air using "RevoUninstaller" (http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html )

You will first want to be certain that you don't need Adobe Air. Go to (http://onair.adobe.com/air/ )
    I hope this was the answer your looking for! If not please post more details, including event log errors.

Steven C. Wise Technician for Wal-Mart ISD, Bentonville AR. Sincerely, Steve Wise
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 10:32 PM
  • Is it a known issue that the search helper has errors in its manifest file?

In the case of SEPsearchhelperie.dll, there are missing quotation marks around the version number in this line making it invalid XML (I can't correct it without invalidating the file signature). (version 1.3.59.0)

<assemblyIdentity version=1.0.0.0 processorArchitecture="X86" name="SearchHelper" type="win32" />

The same issue is in SearchHelper.dll (version 1.2.118.0).

And again in SrchBxEx.dll (version 1.3.59.0)

These are digially signed by Microsoft and are the latest versions as far as I can tell.

Brant Gurganus
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 6:59 PM
  • sepsearchhelperie.dll  This is a microsoft file and a microsoft problem.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:31 AM
  • Master Code Jockey -

So....  can I just use Resource Tuner and edit the sepsearchhelperie.dll, changing the version:

old:  version=1.0.0.0

new: version='1.0'

and fix this error???

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Yep I had this today - Turns out the version I had of Adobe Air was an old one (Installed with Photoshop CS4)

Rip it out and reinstall

Event ID 63 Adobe Air - SideBySide

Pete

PeteNetLive

Monday, December 20, 2010 7:52 PM