Failed to add approval for Windows Internet Explorer 9 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

For some reason approving Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems & Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems are failing. Rest of the updates in SCE2010 that I select have been approved. Also I did not find any more info than just that it has failed, maybe there is a log file I can check?

BR,

Karol

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:02 AM

Answers

• Looking at the logs, We do not see any failure information logged as you mentioned.

It looks like you are using the SCE console to approve the updates. Do you get the same error when you try to approve the updates using the WSUS administrative console?

The WSUS administrative console is available under %Program Files%\Update Services\AdministrationSnapIn\wsus.msc on the SCE server.This will help us Isolate if this is a core WSUS issue or is something to do with the SCE.
     Please let us know.

• Proposed as answer by ktio Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karol Kislenko Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:01 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Approving these in wsus.msc worked!

I believe that the problem for these 2 packages is the license agreement. SCE2010 did not ask to agree/disagree any license terms, but wsus.msc did! After agreeing they were approved and I checked in SCE2010 console that they were nicely in that group where I wanted them.

• Marked as answer by Karol Kislenko Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:02 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hello Karol,

Did you synchroniz Essentials 2010 with the Microsoft Update catalog to download IE9 as an update? Or did you create a customized package of IE9 with IEAK?

Using Software Distribution Tools to Install Internet Explorer 9

Besides, check the prerequisite updates on the problematic computers. Internet Explorer 9 requires prerequisite updates, depending on the Windows version. For more information about the prerequisite updates, see System Requirements and Prerequisites. If you are using Microsoft Update, you must approve and deploy the prerequisite updates as well as the Internet Explorer 9 update. All of these updates can be installed at the same time. If you deploy an Internet Explorer 9 package, however, the setup program will automatically download and install the prerequisite updates.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Hello Yog,

The problem is not on clients, it's in SCE2010 console, these 2 updates fail to be approved and I do not see any more info on SCE2010 console than just that they have failed.

Screenshot of this error: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/approvalfail.jpg/

BR,

Karol

Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:59 AM
  • Hello, Same probleme (with same error message) here... Only for IE9...
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:39 AM
  • We have the same problem. Only for IE9 for W7, W2K8, W7 for x64 & W2K8 for x64
    Friday, July 15, 2011 9:19 AM
  • i'm too
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:45 AM
  • The Change.log  under %program files\Update service\LogFiles\ folder will have more information about the failures.

The change.log should have information like below when it is successful:
    ======================
    2011-07-18 23:47:07.887 UTC Successfully deployed deployment(Install) of Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems by SAI\administrator UpdateID:BD9F0B80-866F-4DED-A6D9-ED74DA717519 Revision Number:101 TargetGroup:All Computers
    2011-07-18 23:47:07.949 UTC Successfully deployed deployment(Install) of Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems by SAI\administrator UpdateID:BD9F0B80-866F-4DED-A6D9-ED74DA717519 Revision Number:101 TargetGroup:Unassigned Computers
    ========================

The log may have information regarding failures when the approval fails.

We tested this in our lab and was able to approve the Internet explorer 9 for Windows 7, Windows 2008 R2 successfully.

Can you please send logs to blrforum-@-microsoft-com? (remove '-')

Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Funny thing, the change.log is not updated if something fails :(

Anyway, I have sent the full change.log to that e-mail address, I hope it helps.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Looking at the logs, We do not see any failure information logged as you mentioned.

It looks like you are using the SCE console to approve the updates. Do you get the same error when you try to approve the updates using the WSUS administrative console?

The WSUS administrative console is available under %Program Files%\Update Services\AdministrationSnapIn\wsus.msc on the SCE server.This will help us Isolate if this is a core WSUS issue or is something to do with the SCE.
     Please let us know.

• Marked as answer by Karol Kislenko Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:01 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Approving these in wsus.msc worked!

I believe that the problem for these 2 packages is the license agreement. SCE2010 did not ask to agree/disagree any license terms, but wsus.msc did! After agreeing they were approved and I checked in SCE2010 console that they were nicely in that group where I wanted them.

• Marked as answer by Karol Kislenko Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:02 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:15 PM
  • It works for me too!

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:16 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem and running wsus.msc "directly" does not change anything. Situation remains the same after I approve package for installation and press OK Approval Progress ends like this.

Action: Requesting Microsoft Software License Terms acceptance for Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems...

Result: Unable to display the Microsoft Software License Terms for this update; the update will not be approved

I suppose some kind of Dialog Box with Agree/Disagree choice should show up however it never did.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:18 PM