none
Unable to unlock bitlocker drive after PC formating RRS feed

• Question

• HI all

In my laptop I have two partitions of my HDD (C: & D:) I turned on the bitlocker on my D: drive and left the OS partition i.e C: open.

I also saved the key on my onedrive for any failure or ......

Due to some reason I formatted my PC and reinstalled the OS (win 10 clean install) but did not touch the D: drive ony C: drive was formatted during the process.

Now the problem : After reinstallation of OS I am able to see the D Drive with bitlocker enabled (A loc sign on that) and when I click on that drive (D: drive) it asks for password which I know but it shows that password I incorrect (I am sure it is correct as I noted it in a diary) and also tried the recovery key option by it says that key does not match, as I am copy pasting it so no possibility of typing error.

As I done this number of times restarted my PC many times but not able to open that drive.

Please help there is very important data stored in that drive that I need.

pls pls someone help.

with regards

Atul

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi atulc,

"(If I download today a fresh ISO from Microsoft does it contain the latest build 1511)"
    Yes.
    We could download it here. For the 1511 and later version, we could clean install it and use the previous version product key to activate the installation directly.

Get Windows 10
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

"due to network problem in my area I am not able to update the windows yet"
    We`d better to connect to the network to keep the machine up to date.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 2, 2016 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hi atulc,

Usually a reinstallation should affect the data drive encrypted by bitlocker.

What is the present Windows 10 version you are using?

In Windows 10 1511, there is a new algorithms included in. If you have encrypted the drive in 1511 before and now you are using Windows 10 10240. The bitlocker drive may not be identified.

Please ensure the machine is up to date. We may restart the machine several times to make the update take effect.

When you are using the "recovery key", please compare the key record (Key ID)and ensure they are corresponding. Try to input the recovery key with the on-board keyboard manually.

Try to use the command line to have a troubleshoot, too:

manage-bde -status D:

manage-bde -protectors D: -get

manage-bde -unlock D: -rp recovery key

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 29, 2016 2:46 AM
  • Dear Mr MeiopXu, first heartiest thanks for your reply.when I turned the bitlocker on then my Windows the build was Win 10 pro 1511 (as I user to regularly update my windows) and when I reinstalled it (as the windows seems slow because I upgraded it from win 7 pro) I have the old ISO of Aug-Sep 2015 (when the Win 10 released) and as I checked the present build is Win 10 10.0.10240 and due to network problem in my area I am not able to update the windows yet.

Now please guide me what I have to do : (If I download today a fresh ISO from Microsoft does it contain the latest build 1511)

I tried all the command given above by you but they didnt worked only the " manage-bde -protectors D: -get" given me some output as some password and some numerical password.

and in unlock operation it says that the password failed to unlock the drive.

Your reply is highly appreciated.

• Edited by atulc Saturday, April 30, 2016 4:25 AM errors
    Saturday, April 30, 2016 4:23 AM
  • Hi atulc,

"(If I download today a fresh ISO from Microsoft does it contain the latest build 1511)"
    Yes.
    We could download it here. For the 1511 and later version, we could clean install it and use the previous version product key to activate the installation directly.

Get Windows 10
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

"due to network problem in my area I am not able to update the windows yet"
    We`d better to connect to the network to keep the machine up to date.

Best regards

Monday, May 2, 2016 1:57 AM
  • Hi Mr MeiopXu, thank you very much for the solution after installing the latest build if Win 10 (1511) my problem has been resolved and i am able to unlock my bit-locker drive with the same password. With regards Atul Chauhan
    Friday, May 6, 2016 3:58 AM
  • C:\WINDOWS\system32>manage-bde -unlock D: -rp recovery key
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.15063
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR: Invalid Syntax.
    "key" was not understood.

Type "manage-bde -?" for usage.

What is this mean?

Sunday, February 4, 2018 12:02 PM
  • If I didn't have the recovery key, after i reinstalling with the latest build if Win 10(1511), can i still able to unlock?
    Sunday, February 4, 2018 12:04 PM
  • Hi  MeipoXu
    Fantastic Solution!!
    It worked for me as well. Thanks a lot. It saved my precious data.
    many many thanks.
    Saturday, April 21, 2018 9:47 AM