Proclarity Usage Report RRS feed

• Question

• Trying create a cube n build proclarity View which will answer following.

Which views/queries were run when?
    Most popular/ least popular queries/views
    queries/views that are never run
    Average query speed by user, company, system, hour, day, month
    Average page load time by user, company, system, hour, day, month
    Number of timeouts or abandoned sessions (long page load time on last page visited maybe?)
    etc.

Please help me from where should i get related information for doing this.
    In PAS Admin tool --> Event log i can find only user & time when they used but not which view & how long they used & what was the response time.
    Please let me know if you have done similat things like this.

thanks in advace

Regards
    Ahkreddy
    Friday, March 27, 2009 5:55 PM

Answers

• Used windows log file and used SSIS package to read Log files and parse the required information from log files and loaded in to SQL server table and built  SSAS cube to analyze..
    • Marked as answer by ahkreddy Monday, December 28, 2009 4:27 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 4:27 PM

All replies

• I think these are really two seperate pieces of analysis.  The first is that you'd like to know which views on PAS are being used, when, and how often.  However, since the vast majority of PAS views are likely coming out of the PAS cache (and so likely showing up to the user in a few seconds), the second piece is to know when a particular query is run against the cube, how long is that query taking?  You could then go about correlating PAS views with queries and determine how long the view takes on a cold cache, if that's of any meaning in your analysis.

So, to determine the first piece, you'll likely want to parse the IIS log and match briefing book page ids with the information in the PAS database.  That's discussed in thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/proclarity/thread/1dafe85d-bd43-440d-9043-cd258531e480/.

For information on tracking and reporting SSAS query performance, please see thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/thread/42dcd693-2e09-4e2b-b463-c0274f0502b4/.
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:29 PM
  • Can u explain the design of sample that you gave in above thread, proclarity_eventlog.
    it was little bit cinfusing..Please help me .

thanks
    ahkreddy
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Sure.  What exactly is causing you confusion?
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:06 AM
  • Thanks for your support.

The sample package or solution you gave on the above theard.
    Do v have any other way of getting PAS usage details other than using logparser.
    I should know which user used which view for how much time and how can i get that with out using logparser.

Appreciate you help

Regards
    Ahkreddy
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Used windows log file and used SSIS package to read Log files and parse the required information from log files and loaded in to SQL server table and built  SSAS cube to analyze..
    • Marked as answer by ahkreddy Monday, December 28, 2009 4:27 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 4:27 PM
  • HI ahkreddy

I have the same mechanism in production for a few years now, parsing the event logs using SSIS and combining that data with the PAS database to get me usage figures for ProClarity

However, when we moved to Windows 2008 we lost all ProClarity Event Logs for users who were not administrators of the server.  I just wondered if you managed to implement this and if so are you on Windows 2008 and if you have ever experienced the same issue?

many thanks for your time

regards

Stuart Lawrence

STUART LAWRENCE
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:41 PM
  • no we are still on still on server 2003, but when we upgraded to 6.3 we copied all the log files and had a back up.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:22 PM