Edge vs Internet Eplore in a Medical Practice RRS feed

• Question

• Having upgraded my 6 home devices ( 2PCs, laptop ultrabook surface pro 3 and netbook) to windows 10 I have started on the 23 workstations in our Medical Practice, 3 so far, mostly ok and they definitely go faster. Our main software works ok, a couple of softwares to check. Main problem is the internet options. Internet explorer has a large and bewildering array of options, including trusted sites, phishing filters, and advanced options including "access data sources across domains". I have tested our remote login which is based on remote desktop and it works for both outlook and controlling a workstation. Our 2 xray logins don't work on edge, because it doesn't allow "access data sources across domains" to download the images to view in a locally installed advance DICDOM image viewer and manipulator. As all xray providers are now online in Australia ( fouir of them in our area), I presume this is a problem in the US too, are you going to fix this or must we continue to use internet explorer? These settings don't work in any other browser either. However Regional Imaging, which uses Intelliviewer, has provided an alternative, one can view the images online in any browser ( including edge) which is basic but adequate for simple viewing. Phillips isite software using the citrix plugin only works on internet explorer.

pidasms

Sunday, April 17, 2016 9:34 PM

Answers

• For DHHS you cant see anything in a browser, you just log in and get an icon to open philips isite software on your computer, which then allows you to search and download patient reports and images. Edge blocks this. As the DHHS hasnt seen fit to do anything to make their system work in any browser other than internet explorer I cant see it using Edge either.

What exactly is the symptom the user sees?  What happens if the user then clicks the More (...) Open with Internet Explorer menu item?

Edge will probably be useful in this scenario without such compatibility actions when the imaging software is converted to support HTML 5.0

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:26 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

You should accept the template security zone templates that are either provided out of the box (on the WinX image) or those applied by Group Policy on your domain network (practice computers).

Users can reset the default security zone templates from Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default" or you can configure user profiles or GPEdit (available on pro and enterprise editions of windows) to prevent user access to the security tab of internet options.

To allow continued access with legacy web sites or intranet sites/applications, you should download and install and manage an Enterprise Mode Site list (manager).

see https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/enterprise-mode-overview-for-ie11

Note that Edge is addons and plugins free (Flash support though is optional) and that IE11 has an ActiveX filtering option and Enhance Protected Mode security (which only allows 32bit ActiveX controls on sites that are in the Trusted or Intranet zone). File>Properties to determine which IE security zone you have mapped a site to....

On some third-party sites that you use ActiveX filtering may be blocking content, which can give the impression that the site is unsupported (because ActiveX filtering is blocking flash and ActiveX content). see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/use-activex-filtering

Also, the first step in troubleshooting web browser issues is to test in no Addons mode....

winkey+r>iexplore.exe -extoff [url]...

If you have upgraded from XP or Win7/IE8 then in all likely hood any webbrowser addons that you had installed will not be compatibile with IE11.

For questions about compatibility of Windows X with third-party software I would suggest that in the first instance you contact the vendors website or support forums.

http://www.intelerad.com/en/products/inteleviewer/

You can configure the default 'opener' application for different file types (eg. tif and tiff) from Search>Default programs

these are public support forums for IT professionals (system administrators, help desk etc).. We do not work for nor represent MS...

To avoid confusion please include the full web address of any public access websites you are having issues with your questions, so that we can visit them to make some tests.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, April 18, 2016 12:45 AM
  • All very interesting information, but it doesn't address the question. The websites for radiology requiring active x work on all versions of internet explorer including on windows 10, they don't work on edge. With no support for addons or plugins (except it does work with remote desktop) edge is unsuited for these purposes, whereas it was supposed to supersede internet explorer. For these and many other business applications it is still needed. You might call them "legacy" applications, but they are state of the art in Radiology practice ( these companies having invested heavily in developing them). The only other commonly used method is to deliver an in browser view of a single image which has limited functionality and isn't full screen.It works for the private radiology providers, but not for the DHHS, who wont change their procedures until the health department agrees. To scroll through a series of 2 dozen high definition dicom images of a CT scan from a radiology server requires them to be progressively downloaded from their server to a local viewer, which apparently requires active x. If Microsoft has another method of doing this then perhaps you need to work with the major radiology practices and the State Health Departments and the makers of the viewer applications? I know Pacific Radiology had a solution using Intellivewer without using a browser, the intelliviwer just downloads the reports and images directly, bypassing the active x problem. No one else is doing this and they are no longer in Tasmania! Not sure why.

pidasms

Monday, April 18, 2016 1:25 AM
  • see the link to Enterprise Mode for IE11.

We are not radiologists.... its very hard to understand your question without web links that we can visit and test.

I suspect that your issue is related to mime-types and file extensions in use on those web sites.

I have only tested tif support in Edge (I cannot find a tiff example).... If you can provide a publicly accessible link to a tif or tiff file (or the format you are expecting) for us to test, it would be helpful...

Perhaps your enquires may be better directed to Microsoft Health...

http://enterprise.microsoft.com/en-au/industries/public-sector/health-hub/

Regards.

Rob^_^

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Monday, April 18, 2016 2:25 AM
  • No it is related to Active X allowing DICOM images ( a standard image file type used for xrays for its good definition of black and white images) to be downloaded to a local Dicom image viewer by clicking a link in a webpage. Clicking a link in Internet explorer starts the intelliviewer software which is installed on the local machine and then the DICOM Image (it could be any supported image file type, radiology uses Dicom) is temporarily downloaded for use in the software where an extensive set of measuring and manipulating tools are, the image disappears on exit. I have contacted our local private radiology and they are going to move to a new system which will allow us to just log in to the intelliviewer software and see the downloaded images and reports. we already know that works so that solves the browser problem for them, but not for DHHS(Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services), which uses a CITRIX plugin to start Phillips' (the electronics company that makes Monitors TVs etc) iSite software which then allows us to search and download DICOM images and reports. It only works with internet explorer so we will have to keep using that browser. Nothing at all to do with group policies or being in enterprise mode. Internet explorer does this in any version from 8 up on any version of windows ( worked ok on windows 7 home premium at home, and now works ok on windows 10 home).  The difference is you need to click in a browser to down load an image into another pice of software directly, rather than just click a link to download a picture. If you want to see a DICOM image just go to www.wikiradiology.org  , there are plenty of images there to play with. If you download one you will only be able to see it with a freeware dicom viewer, there are several available.

pidasms

Monday, April 18, 2016 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

http://www.wikiradiology.com/ has no example images (in which format?) to download.

Sample DICOM images are available (*.dcm) from http://www.osirix-viewer.com/datasets/ , in zip packages.

" The difference is you need to click in a browser to down load an image into another pice of software directly, rather than just click a link to download a picture." - that's a file-type/mime-type issue.

go Start>Settings>System>Default apps>Choose default apps by file type.....locate .dcm in the list and make sure it is associated with their player....

If its not there, (then you have probably run a registry cleaner?) then you can try re-installing their software.

"No it is related to Active X allowing DICOM images ( a standard image file type used for xrays for its good definition of black and white images) to be downloaded to a local Dicom image viewer by clicking a link in a webpage."

see Tools>Manage Addons>Show All Addons>locate the DICOM viewer in the list (if its there?) and

1. Make sure it(s) components are enabled. (there may be more than one component to their software.... a link helper BHO).

2. Double click it to display the properties page, then click the Copy button and paste back that information on this thread.

3. There should be two entries for a 32bit and 64bit version of their control... (if they support both platforms). copy and paste both platform version property pages.

4. Post back also if you have recently used an anti-virus or registry cleaner product on your machines, including the vendors details and versions.

5. Check that Tools>ActiveX Filtering is not checked when you visit the download site...

Home editions of windows are not supported on TechNet or MSDN forums... I would suggest that you open a support ticket with MS Australia at support.microsoft.com and have an engineer Remote into your machine to investigate the issue.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:44 AM
  • As Rob mentioned, please try it.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:23 AM
  • There is no tools>activeX filtering setting in the EDGE browser, your responses relate to internet explorer and seem to assume we are having problems using internet explorer. We aren't, it works perfectly well. We have the right settings for Internet explorer on windows 10 pro, and I do at home on both my surface ( windows 10 pro) and PC (windows 10 home). We can access the radiology images using internet explorer with no problems. The issue is we cant do it with EDGE because it doesn't support addons or active X. This means when we upgrade the remaining 20 workstations at work to windows 10 pro we have to set internet explorer as the default browser on them. This is no a problem for us, its a problem for the EDGE browser. I was wondering if there were any plans to fix this so the EDGE browser can be used for this and other work applications that use addons and plugins? Glad to see it does support remote desktop.

pidasms

Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:53 AM
  • Hi,

you should be able to (in the Edge browser) to click on a hyperlink to a DICOM images file and it should prompt to download the file to the default Downloads folder.... once the download has completed you then view your downloads folder (Tools charm>Downloads) and then click on the then downloaded DICOM file.... this action will then look up what the computer's default opener application is for that type of file (since Edge is Addons/Plugins free) and then use that opener application to open and view the DICOM file....

If your existing DICOM file Addon for IE does not support standalone viewing, that it does not have a Windows form interface, then when you click the downloaded DICOM file in the Edge downloads folder there is no associated 'opener' application to open and view it.

Windows 8 and 10 are different beasts, to earlier versions of windows, its up to the Browser Addons/Plugins vendors to publish and distribute their addons/plugins that target Win8 and higher through the Windows, Apple, Amazon or Google Stores. You as a user have a choice of to only use IE (and its file associated addon) or to install a standalone Windows desktop app or Windows Store app.

Fortunately the Windows store DOES have a Windows 10 DICOM viewer app which you can download and install (Please read the EULA)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/store/apps/DICOM-Image-Viewer/9WZDNCRDFN0B

(copy and paste the above link into your edge browser

or

Search>Windows Store to invoke the Windows Store (App) and then search for DICOM viewer... you  will be offered to install the DICOM viewer app on your machine.

its free, but you will have to manually install it to install it on each Win10 machine.

30 machines is a reasonable no of machines to manage. You should seek the help of local IT Support partners who can cater to your networking and IT administration needs.

You can find a listing of MS partners matching your business type needs at

http://mspartner.microsoft.com/

or

you could make enquires at Microsoft Health for solutions that cater for Radiology Practices. (Office 365 based).

Unfortunately you've asked your question in the wrong forum. This one's for

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Wednesday, April 27, 2016 7:55 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 2:58 AM
  • That would be nice but that is not the practice of radiology software and websites. Their website is a secure login where you can search for a patient, then see what imaging has been requested and done, and see the reports. Then there is a link which doesnt download a DICOM, it opens an image viewer (intelliviewer) on your computer which then downloads the dicom temporarily. There is no option to just download a dicom image. That is on the Regional Imaging system, and in Edge it does allow you to see a jpeg in the browser. For advanced image editing tools you need the software on your computer. For DHHS you cant see anything in a browser, you just log in and get an icon to open philips isite software on your computer, which then allows you to search and download patient reports and images. Edge blocks this. As the DHHS hasnt seen fit to do anything to make their system work in any browser other than internet explorer I cant see it using Edge either.The system requirements for use of Intelliviewer and Phillips iSite software are on their respective websites. So long as we continue to have access to internet explorer there is no problem. My point is Edge is not business friendly, and there seems no intention to make it so.Microsoft cant expect all these business to forget about the expensive software applications they have developed because it is pushing a new browser(for the consumer not the business market) that doesnt support this!  There is no demand from business for a new browser. There are many other types of businesses that use applications requiring these types of active x security applications. Microsoft has promoted active x and the extensive list of security options in internet explorer over several decades, which business has used. I am worried that by labelling this type of thing "legacy" Microsoft is going to cease internet explorer support and so annoy all the businesses that have used this for decades. Microsoft did the same when it discontinued "legacy" support for windows mobile, which had been used by businesses in PDAs etc for 15 years. At the time I had software worth $800 I bought, and it wouldnt work in windows phone 7. I had hopes it would but windows phone 10 doesnt support desktop apps so I am still using Android phone and tablet. Still waiting to see if the proposal to allow android apps to work in windows phone 10 eventuates, that would be a good move. ( every other "app"I like on android I already have as a windows app on my surface pro 3 so heres hoping!). Most laptop manufacturers also shafted their business customers when they removed serial ports. The business machines that connected to these aften cost more than the laptops. Our serial port ECG device is a case in point, but fortunateley Dells all in one wall mounted evices still have serial ports. New devices now have USB ports (USB2, so hopefully laptop manufacturers wont entriely ditch USB for USB type C, again annoying business customers and their so called "legacy"devices. When you but a device cost several thousand dollar with no moving parts it is reasonable to expect it to last 10 years and very annoying when compouter manufacturers wont support this. Fortunately some still do-HP, Dell and Panasonic sell business models with serial ports. Microsofts devices are nice, and yes you can get the annoying USB to serial adapters, but they have basically ignored this aspect of the business market ( Medicine, Engineering, Mining ete).

pidasms

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 10:32 PM
  • For DHHS you cant see anything in a browser, you just log in and get an icon to open philips isite software on your computer, which then allows you to search and download patient reports and images. Edge blocks this. As the DHHS hasnt seen fit to do anything to make their system work in any browser other than internet explorer I cant see it using Edge either.

What exactly is the symptom the user sees?  What happens if the user then clicks the More (...) Open with Internet Explorer menu item?

Edge will probably be useful in this scenario without such compatibility actions when the imaging software is converted to support HTML 5.0

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:26 PM
    Answerer
  • I cant see the DHHS converting anything any time soon! There are no "symptoms"in Internet explorer it all works perfectly well. It just doesn't work in EDGE ( or Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Dolphin, Opera or any other browser). I have described the problem needing "äctive x across domains" as well as the security trusts above but you lot keep answering questions I am not asking and don't seem to understand, so lets just leave the question unanswered, as we can keep using internet explorer for the forseeable future. What happens if Microsoft stops supporting internet explorer on windows 10, and the DHHS keeps all its computers on XP ( a few are on 7!) I dont know, but that might prompt me to retire!

pidasms

Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:06 PM