none
task start date and duration change when a resource calander change due to vacation RRS feed

• Question

• I have two resources working on an activity together. R1 and R2.

The Task Duration is 1d? and is not effort driven. startdate: 15.05.2012 and enddate: 15.05.2012

When i change the calander of R1 to have a vacation on 15.05.2012 till 16.05.2012 the task duration increase to 2 days and the second resource R2 start working on the task on the 15 and the first resource R1 start working on the task on the 17.

however i need the task to start when R1 and R2 are both working together.

please advise.

Tarek

tsaleh

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Tarek,

As you have seen that Julie's and my suggestion comes with some downside, you have to either edit based on the current Status of of the project (accordingly edit the Start Date) or write a macro which can verify if both resources are available at a date and then start the task hence accordingly shift other predecessors. Maintaining individual Tasks and Resource Calendars on a large projects become difficult for such small yet impacting changes. So, I follow the same approach in real-time manner to tie 2 resources or make resource start their Assignments at different time, as I suggested and it never set constrain on automatic date calculation of predecessors. Though, its a real time updating session as Julie said.

Sapna S

• Marked as answer by TA_R_EK Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:33 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:22 AM
  • You're welcome Tarek.  As I said, the ability to "tie" resources together has been long requested -- but as of yet, has not appeared in any version of Project. I understand it becomes very complicated in large projects as you have to think about logical pairing of resources and then create the calendars to accommodate non-working time.

Julie

• Marked as answer by TA_R_EK Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:32 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Tarek,

Firstly I want to understand that if R1 is on vacation on 15th and you want the task to start only when he is back then why can't task be given a Start date of 17th itself. But if some other scenarios are involved for this particular choice then you can edit the Assignment Start Dates for R1 & R2 in Resource usage view.Go to Resource Usage -> Insert Start Date Column and changed the Start Dt for the Task in R1 & R2 resource's row as 17th.

Sapna S

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Hello Tarek,

The ability to "tie" to resources together has been on the top of the request list for Project for quite some time.  Sapna's answer does solve the temporary issue well.  The problem becomes if the task shifts due to other issues.  Then you need to go back and alter the assignment start date again.

An alternative (that is also not without its downsides) is to create a task calendar where you place the anticipated non-working time for both Resource 1 and Resource 2.  Then assign the task calendar to tasks that require both resources to work together.  When you assign the task calendar (double click on the tasks) ensure you select "Scheduling ignores resource calendar."

Down sides:

1. You still need to maintain the separate resource calendars individually.  This is necessary in the case of tasks assigned to a single resource without the task calendar.
    2. You need to maintain the separate task calendar.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hellp Sapna,

I want to tie resources to work on the task together. This resolution will enforce setting a date for the task to start and i want the task to be automatically scheduled.

Best,

Tarek

tsaleh

Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:31 AM
  • Hello Julie,

Your approach is a valid work around but still is complicated to apply in a huge project. I wonder why it is not possible to tie resources to start working on a single task together!

anyway thank you for the work around.

BR,

Tarek

tsaleh

Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:36 AM
  • Hi Tarek,

As you have seen that Julie's and my suggestion comes with some downside, you have to either edit based on the current Status of of the project (accordingly edit the Start Date) or write a macro which can verify if both resources are available at a date and then start the task hence accordingly shift other predecessors. Maintaining individual Tasks and Resource Calendars on a large projects become difficult for such small yet impacting changes. So, I follow the same approach in real-time manner to tie 2 resources or make resource start their Assignments at different time, as I suggested and it never set constrain on automatic date calculation of predecessors. Though, its a real time updating session as Julie said.

Sapna S

• Marked as answer by TA_R_EK Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:33 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:22 AM
  • You're welcome Tarek.  As I said, the ability to "tie" resources together has been long requested -- but as of yet, has not appeared in any version of Project. I understand it becomes very complicated in large projects as you have to think about logical pairing of resources and then create the calendars to accommodate non-working time.

Julie

• Marked as answer by TA_R_EK Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:32 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:36 AM