Word 2010 crashes when re-saving a document using a different name/date and then losing all changes - why? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the scenario:

I have typed a letter and saved it as say Ltr_v1_Jones_123456_160415.  I want to revise this letter and save it as a version 2 with different date so Ltr_v2_Jones_123456_170415.  Every time I try to re-save a document that has been edited using Save As, I get the not responding header and then have to wait for system to recover.  When I get back in, the newly saved document is in the folder but it is completely blank so all my changes/additions have completely disappeared.  V1 is the same as it was originally.  This happens EVERY time I do this.  What am I missing here as I've done this for years and it's never happened until using 2010.  (It doesn't happen if I do the same in Excel or Powerpoint.)

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thank you :)

Friday, April 17, 2015 9:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Is this a recently happened issue? Have you ever made any changes prior to the issue?

A lot of Office issues are caused by third party add-ins. As an intial troubleshooting steps, I would suggest we first launch Word 2010 in safe mode, then verify result:

Press Win + R and type "winword.exe /safe" in the blank box, then press "Enter".

If Word 2010 works well in safe mode, then issue might be caused by some third party add-ins. You might want to go through your add-ins, disabling all of them, and then re-enabling them one by one to find out the fault one.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 20, 2015 5:59 AM

All replies

• Does the problem occur with that particular document only or can you reproduce it in any document?

Where are you saving the document? Locally on your computer? To a network location? To OneDrive or some other cloud storage?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:54 PM
  • Hi,

Is this a recently happened issue? Have you ever made any changes prior to the issue?

A lot of Office issues are caused by third party add-ins. As an intial troubleshooting steps, I would suggest we first launch Word 2010 in safe mode, then verify result:

Press Win + R and type "winword.exe /safe" in the blank box, then press "Enter".

If Word 2010 works well in safe mode, then issue might be caused by some third party add-ins. You might want to go through your add-ins, disabling all of them, and then re-enabling them one by one to find out the fault one.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 20, 2015 5:59 AM