none
Can't connect to Homegroup printer in Windows 8 -- works fine in Windows 7

Question

• I have a Windows 7 desktop computer to which a local printer is attached and shared via my homegroup.

From a Windows 7 laptop I can add a printer. It sees the printer, connects to it, and prints just fine.

From a Windows 8 laptop if I try to add a printer, it searches and sees the printer. When I try to connect to it, it gives me an error, "Windows couldn't connect to the printer. Check the printer name and try again. If this is a network printer, make sure that the printer's turned on, and that the printer address is connect."

Any suggestions? Again, I can access it and print to it just fine from another laptop, so I know nothing's wrong with the printer itself, the connection to the desktop machine, or the sharing on the homegroup.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check if your Windows 8 laptop join the HomeGroup successfully.

If yes, after the printer is shared, you can get to it through the Print dialog box in any program, just like a printer that's directly connected to your PC.

Meanwhile, please turn off your Windows 8 firewall and anti-virus temporarily to check the result.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if your Windows 8 laptop join the HomeGroup successfully.

If yes, after the printer is shared, you can get to it through the Print dialog box in any program, just like a printer that's directly connected to your PC.

Meanwhile, please turn off your Windows 8 firewall and anti-virus temporarily to check the result.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:07 AM
  • I've suddenly had just the same problem arise (after months of satisfactory use), although the laptop is running Windows 10 (upgraded from W7 about 3 months ago); the message (about my Canon MX860 colour inkjet printer) is identical.

Thr HomeGroup is definitely working, as a Brother mono laser printer (connected in the same way) IS operable from the laptop. ALSO, the FAX component of the Canon printer WAS recognised!

I've tried the proposals above, but to no effect. If I have the time (and no better suggestions!), I may take the HomeGroup apart and set it up again.

Friday, March 11, 2016 1:48 PM