Multiple Documents populated with Word Template RRS feed

• Question

• Searched for this solution and can't, only in Piecemeal form.

We will be talking about 2 forms, a created Word Reporting Template and a Word Invoice Template.

We consult with clients, get the information and then create a report with various fields on them

Is it possible that when finished the report and "exiting or saving" the report can it create or populate an invoice of the same name with maybe a couple added letters like inv

So obvious things would be our company name, address etc, which is contained in the header/footer portions

So the report would contain, client name, Date, Services performed etc., which would copy that info to the invoice template (or create a new one)

The Invoice Number would be the same on each document
    The Fields on the report should populate similar fields on the invoice I would think...and have the time charged applied with taxes included on the invoice.

Don't care if I have to manipulate the fields to populate another template or just get it to create a new template/document with the info brought over from the report.

The 2 documents/templates will be the only ones used, for clients to report after our assessment and invoice for time to assess.

If there is an alternative to this that one can think of I will also look at that too, Feel that the options are there, and don't want to spend money on yet another piece of software, it's just I'm sure this info can be manipulated.

Nutshell
    open a reporting template
    Template should place opening date
    Template should increment an invoice number
    Template will carry over clients name, date, Invoice number, services rendered, and Reference number provided
    When exiting the template, save it as a word doc AND a PDF file
    And protect it from further editing
    Invoice (either created or template) will have a unit field on it that will allow to be placed pricing for time rendered, and apply a 12 percent tax and totalled

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated

Trying to get away from multiple clicks, saving and openings of multiple documents, and then having to convert that doc into a pdf in order to import to quickbooks

Thanks

Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?
    If my reply is helpful, please mark it as answer to close the thread. It will help other who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, there is no method to fill in one document template with another template automatically.

In Word, we can use Mail Merge feature to marge fields from an Excel file. For example, we can create an Excel file and create different columns such as clients name, date, Invoice number, services rendered, and Reference number. Collect the column data from client users and save it in one Excel file.

Then we can follow the article below to insert merge fields in Word:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Mail-merge-using-an-Excel-spreadsheet-858c7d7f-5cc0-4ba1-9a7b-0a948fa3d7d3

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Friday, October 27, 2017 1:29 PM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 10:01 AM
  • Based on my knowledge, there is no method to fill in one document template with another template automatically.

You can via INCLUDETEXT fields, or via a userform. I agree, however, that a mailmerge might be more appropriate in this case.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Friday, October 27, 2017 1:29 PM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 10:59 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?
    If my reply is helpful, please mark it as answer to close the thread. It will help other who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:30 AM
  • Sorry for the delay, I will give this a go, and see how it works out, but have marked as answered for the time being....

This thread may be closed

Thank you

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:12 PM