2008 R2 WSUS not getting reports from 2008 Standard Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I'm running into an issue on my domain network where I just implemented a WSUS on Windows Server 2008 R2. All of my clients have reported since then with the exception of two servers. Thus far I've checked the registry keys to make sure GPO is pushing out to them and cross compared with one of my servers that is reporting properly.

The servers are both on Server 2008 Standard while the rest of my domain's servers are 2008 R2. We are using a ESXi to house the VMs. One server is a VM and the other is a physical box that we use for a file server. We are currently on a 2008 domain infrastructure level. The first server is a database VM which houses our SharePoint data. The second as I stated above is a file server. If I try to manually update they will error out as GPO dictates that they must go through the WSUS which they can't find.

All my 2008 R2 servers are currently reporting that 100% of updates are installed. My two trouble childs are populating in the list but without a date/time stamp for last status report nor an installed %. I have several client workstations that also report to my WSUS as well and they are on Windows 7. 

Any assistance would be much obliged.

Thanks,

-Adam

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This link might be of use:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708627(v=ws.10).aspx

You can reset the wsus client as per below:

To reset the Automatic Update client

1. Open a command window.

2. Type wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

3. Wait 10 minutes for the detection cycle to finish.

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 6, MCITP x 3

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please subscribe to my podcast Trancendance Podcast

View my MCP Certifications

Follow me on Twitter

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:24 PM
  • I've done this a few times with no luck. Normally if the clients are populating in the list of computers shouldn't it be able to report it's status? I'm pretty sure it's the Clients who find the WSUS not the other way around and if the Client was able to send out a, "Hey -- look at me over here!" shouldn't it be able to report it's updates and receive as well? Perhaps the updates only push over ISS but the member population is done over netbios or something?

Again, thanks.

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:37 PM
  • Is there anything in the windows update client log?

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 6, MCITP x 3

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please subscribe to my podcast Trancendance Podcast

View my MCP Certifications

Follow me on Twitter

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:46 PM