none
Graphical Indicators not getting reflected in sub projects with the formula put in Master Project RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Sir,

I have a master project which contains three different sub-projects. I have put an additional column and customized it for subtracting the current date from finish date of task. I have put some graphical indicators to be shown as per the result. As two dates are subtracting, i have put type as "Text" in the customize settings. Its showing indicators in the master project but not in the sub projects. I am using MS Project 2010. I tried using the same steps in 2007, its working there. I mean the indicators are getting reflected in project & sub project tasks. I have also tried putting the same column, formula in sub project MS file also but even though its not being reflected. Kindly guide as where I am going wrong or the indicators cannot be reflected in sub projects with the formula put in Master projects. I am little new to MS Project. Kindly guide as soon as possible

TKP

• Edited by tkp86 Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:43 PM
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:42 PM

All replies

• tkp86 --

Did you copy the custom field from the master project to each subproject using the Organizer dialog?  If not, try that, and then press the F9 function key after you close the Organizer dialog.  Please let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, December 23, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Hi Dale !

Actually I had hard time finding the solution as it was to be implemented today itself. Your reply came little late but I managed to do almost the same way. I did it this way

1) Created custom field which was to create graphical indicator for % completion of work (Traffic lights)

2) I went to Organizer and added the custom field(s) to Global.MPT from my Master msp sheet.

3) I saved the sheet.

4) I opened both the sheets, Master Sheet & Sub Project sheet in same window (Horizontally arranged). I created the custom fields in sub project . In custom field, formula, I called the formulas & graphical indicators from master sheet. I got the custom fields same as that of master sheet. This resolved my issue.

My process is a lengthy one..I hope yours is easy and fast. Will try it for another sub project and inform you. BTW whats the use of doing F9 Dale ? 

• Edited by tkp86 Monday, December 23, 2013 5:22 PM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 5:20 PM
  • tkp86 --

When you press the F9 function key, this immediately recalculates your project and calculates the data in any custom fields containing a formula.  This would recalculate your stoplights, if necessary.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, December 23, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Thnx Dale !! :) 

BTW Dale, Whats your comment on the way I proceeded. I hope you didn't read it.

I have some more doubts Dale.

I am subtracting the finish date and current date of a task and if the result is positive it means we have time; if the result is zero, then today is the deadline; if the result is negative then result is either we are late or finished the job on time based on status of % completion. As of now I am using formula as

IIf([finish date]-[current date]>7, " We have time", iff([finish date]-[current date]=0,"Today is last day", iff([finish date]-[current date]<0 AND %complete=100,"Job Done & Time Passed, "You are late")))

Every thing is working fine except the =0 thing..the result is not coming as "Today is last day" rather its showing other results.

Some suggested to use function datediff("d", start date, end date) or projdiff(start, finish, calender). I can use both of them but i am unable to put the less than zero + % completion combination in function & graphical indicator.

So, can you suggest the error area or some easy/correct way of doing the same.

Monday, December 23, 2013 5:43 PM