Database instance for SCCM 2012 and WSUS on a single primary site server RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to install SCCM 2012 and its SQL database on a single physical server. This is going to be a single primary site server. The default SQL instance will be dedicated to SCCM 2012 with no other named instances to be added on the SQL server down the road.

During the WSUS server role installation, there is the Database Options page asking for using (1) Windows Internal Database, (2) existing db server on this computer, or (3) an external db server.

Since SCCM 2012 doesn't share db instance with others, how should I handle the WSUS db that's going to be hosted on the same SCCM/SQL physical server? Do I really need to create a separate SQL instance just for the WSUS db?

Thanks and regards. 

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use the same SQl Server and instance for the WSUS DB no problem, SCCM cannot share a SQL Instance with another SCCM Primary Site server but the WSUS DB is no problem.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Marked as answer by Fat Frog Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:46 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Even though you can do it, it is the best practice to have SCCM 2012 and WSUS installed on separate instances.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh692394

When the Configuration Manager and WSUS databases use the same SQL Server and share the same instance of SQL Server, you cannot easily determine the resource usage between the two applications. When you use a different SQL Server instance for Configuration Manager and WSUS, it is easier to troubleshoot and diagnose resource usage issues that might occur for each application.

• Marked as answer by Fat Frog Monday, July 23, 2012 8:57 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use the same SQl Server and instance for the WSUS DB no problem, SCCM cannot share a SQL Instance with another SCCM Primary Site server but the WSUS DB is no problem.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Marked as answer by Fat Frog Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:46 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Even though you can do it, it is the best practice to have SCCM 2012 and WSUS installed on separate instances.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh692394

When the Configuration Manager and WSUS databases use the same SQL Server and share the same instance of SQL Server, you cannot easily determine the resource usage between the two applications. When you use a different SQL Server instance for Configuration Manager and WSUS, it is easier to troubleshoot and diagnose resource usage issues that might occur for each application.

• Marked as answer by Fat Frog Monday, July 23, 2012 8:57 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 7:23 PM
  • I ran into issues when I tried both on the same instance.  I ended up using Windows Internal Database instead.  We are planning in the future to move the SCCM database off the same box as the CM, but the WSUS db is going to stay on, so I wasn't too worried about having to move it.
    Monday, July 23, 2012 8:44 PM
  • I ran into issues when I tried both on the same instance. 
    I've never seen that happen. So I concur with Jörgen: it's fine to install them both on the same database instance.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for using such old thread.

If it is poosible to use SCCM and WSUS on the same DB Instance is it also possible to use the same DB Instance for WSUS on CAS and WSUS on Primary?

Are there any other solutions to not having WSUS Database for each Primary and CAS ?

I ask this because of the licensing model of SCCM 2012, SQL is included. But for every WSUS DB I should have a SQL license to ?

Friday, February 14, 2014 9:50 AM