I hate Work folders RRS feed

• Question

• No matter what i do i cant get work folders to work. all it does is time out when looking for the server. I have in my local network to use it in mt lab. I have installed the certificate (self singed) on the local computer created the group policy shared the folder i just dont get it 
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry to hear your trouble of setting up Work Folders. I'm from the Work Folders team, and like to help you with the deployment.

Can the client machine ping the server? It feels like there might be some network configuration issue. Or you can ping me at jianyan at microsoft, I can help you to collect traces to figure out the issue.

Thanks,

Jane

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:45 PM

All replies

• Hi ermac_0,

Which step do you have problem, could you provide related screenshot and detailed error?

Here is the step by step guide for setting up work folder:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2015/01/20/step-by-step-creating-a-work-folders-test-lab-deployment-in-windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:58 AM
  • The issue is when i go to the client PC and try to add work folders. that tutorial is using email but i dont have that..
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Also i am using IIS for the certificate even tho its just for domain computers. 
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry to hear your trouble of setting up Work Folders. I'm from the Work Folders team, and like to help you with the deployment.

Can the client machine ping the server? It feels like there might be some network configuration issue. Or you can ping me at jianyan at microsoft, I can help you to collect traces to figure out the issue.

Thanks,

Jane

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:45 PM
  • Hi ermac_0,

Have you solved your problem?

If not, what is the ping result mentioned by Jane?

Feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

Jane

Hi Jane,

I am looking for a way to enforce encryption in Work Folders so end users do not have the right to remove encryption. How can I "ping you"? 

Monday, February 29, 2016 7:45 PM
  • Sure. I have replied to your email offline, but also want to share my response here to get others feedback:

Work Folders is a sync engine, syncing data between client and server. The data is fully in control by the user. The encryption is done at the file system, and Work Folders is not in the file path to intercept the decryption. When we discussed this with the encryption team, the thinking of not blocking user removing the encryption was, if they made a mistake at storing the data in Work Folders path, they need to have a way to take it out and remove the encryption. Work Folders does have a scheduled task on the client to encrypt anything that was unencrypted by the user if the files stay under Work Folders path.

Having said this, I’d like to hear your feedback on the current design. I hear you concern about user removing encryption, do you think this is done intentionally or unintentionally? If it is intentional, even encryption will not stop them to take the data somewhere else. If it’s unintentional, does the scheduled task to re-encrypt those files will address your concern?

Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:17 PM