CD/DVD burning not working in Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just bought a new Dell Inspiron 530 running Windows Vista Home Premium in October '07. I've been having problems burning CDs and/or DVDs ever since. I started up my computer one day and found that my disk drive did not show up in Windows Explorer, and that when I went to device manager, it said "Device cannot start: code 10." Now, the problem has been solved mostly because of an older Windows XP fix that I tried, which was to delete a couple registry files.

That is not the main issue, however... at least I dont believe so. It may have something to do with it, though. My CD/DVD drive can read but cannot write to discs. It does have the capability, but it seems that the registry files for CD/DVD burning are completely just.. not there. They're missing.

Since I havent really had the computer that long, and CD/DVD burning has never worked with this computer, I use a USB drive to transfer the music files I want on a CD to my old computer (an old Sony Vaio running Windows ME ... blech..) to burn the CD, because it does work on the old computer. However, besides just being a pain, my old computer will not stay on for longer than 30 - 45 minutes. After that period of time has passed, the computer overheats and either just shuts down, or freezes up, the latter being more common.

Anyone have any idea whats going on and how to fix it? Please help.

- Sarah

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 10:18 PM

Answers

• Have you tried using 3rd party software to burn the data or are you simply using Windows to burn your data on to CD's? I would also contact the computer vendor for updated firmware/drivers since your machine is new and should still be under warranty.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:38 PM

All replies

• Have you tried using 3rd party software to burn the data or are you simply using Windows to burn your data on to CD's? I would also contact the computer vendor for updated firmware/drivers since your machine is new and should still be under warranty.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Hi

I have a Lenovo 3000 N500 with the same problem.

After I upgraded to Windows Vista Home Premium the DVD RW Optiarc AD-7580S stopped to read DVD Data Disks. It reads Video DVD, Music CD and Data CD, but not Video DVD.

I already tried to clean the High and Low filter registry entries, remove and install the recorder (except iTunes, that I read today in Technet).

Do you have another idea? Do you know where can I find firmware for the DVD Driver?

Thanks a lot

Alberto
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 12:18 PM