Prevent access to windows explorer features... RRS feed

• Question

•  

I tried setting this as I have the computer someone hardened to protect it (folders hidden, etc) and without this set, users can go and view hidden folders...but when I enable this feature, it also removes IE from my desktop, which is not a desirable effect and not this one?

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't see anything specific about that restriction that would cause the IE icon to disappear...that's strange. 

Regarding hiding folders, however, I would recommend that you change the security attributes of that folder to deny your restricted users access rather than relying on hiding them.  Hiding a folder offers no real security, and the user could still access that directory.

Thanks,

Rob

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't see anything specific about that restriction that would cause the IE icon to disappear...that's strange. 

Regarding hiding folders, however, I would recommend that you change the security attributes of that folder to deny your restricted users access rather than relying on hiding them.  Hiding a folder offers no real security, and the user could still access that directory.

Thanks,

Rob

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:10 PM
  • Understood...I am assuming what I may want to do is just change the permissions on the top level folders, and not the files below them so that if something still needs to be accessed by the user, it can be via the direct path?

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:41 PM