Need to legitimately activate a XP RRS feed

• Question

• I have a use case where a software program (16bit dos) needs to run on Windows XP Pro.

I've heard that I can purchase a Windows 7 license and "downgrade".

Is this true, and can I simply enter the product key for Win7 disc into the WinXP activation dialog?

Thanks! 

Sunday, September 24, 2017 4:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

We cannot do like that because Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Support for Windows XP ended

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-xp-support

Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 25, 2017 3:05 AM
  • Monday, September 25, 2017 5:08 AM
  • Hi Brad.

Windows XP cannot be installed and/or activated using a Windows 7 product key code: you need to use a Windows XP product key code; furthermore, Windows XP is not supported anymore and it is very difficult to find a new Windows XP license.
    As far as I know, there are no available downgrade offers anymore, unless you have a branded PC and the manufacturer can offer you some option to do that, provided that your PC can support Windows XP.
    I suggest you to use either Windows Virtual PC with XP Mode (if you have at least Windows 7 Professional) or to install a virtualization program and create a virtual machine running Windows XP where you can install and run your old program.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Sunday, September 24, 2017 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Brad.

Windows XP cannot be installed and/or activated using a Windows 7 product key code: you need to use a Windows XP product key code; furthermore, Windows XP is not supported anymore and it is very difficult to find a new Windows XP license.
    As far as I know, there are no available downgrade offers anymore, unless you have a branded PC and the manufacturer can offer you some option to do that, provided that your PC can support Windows XP.
    I suggest you to use either Windows Virtual PC with XP Mode (if you have at least Windows 7 Professional) or to install a virtualization program and create a virtual machine running Windows XP where you can install and run your old program.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Sunday, September 24, 2017 6:07 PM
  • Hi,

We cannot do like that because Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Support for Windows XP ended

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-xp-support

Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 25, 2017 3:05 AM
  • Monday, September 25, 2017 5:08 AM