none
Connect Desktop and Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• It sounds SO simple !

ALL I want to do is for Windows Explorer on my Desktop computer to "see" my Laptop, and vice versa (when both are plugged in & switched on, of course !)

I have tried and TRIED to get it to work, but every time I do (and I don't know how !) it seems to reset itself when I switch off.

BOTH have internet access through the same Router, one via Wi-Fi, the other via cable through the power socket..

Both can see the Desktop, but ONLY as a "Media Device" in "Windows Media Player" (which I NEVER use)

Google tells my how to install cables and routers, etc., but NOTHING about all the different "settings".

I don't know which computer needs adjusting (nor how !)

Friday, July 19, 2019 4:36 PM

All replies

• Open services.msc and set the 2 Function Discovery services to Automatic and start both.

Disable Firewall.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

• Proposed as answer by Kapil.AryaMVP Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:12 AM
    Saturday, July 20, 2019 2:05 AM
  • Hello,

Please try these steps:

Run services.msc command. In Services window, set these services to Automatic startup type and also start them:

Function Discovery Provider Host
    Function Discovery Resource Publication
    SSDP Discovery
    UPnP Device Host 

Close Services snap-in and see if you can connect systems now.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

• Proposed as answer by Kapil.AryaMVP Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:12 AM
    Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Hello,

Please also make sure Network Discovery is turned on.

Go to Control Panel->All Control Panel Item->Network and Sharing Center->Change advanced sharing settings->Turn on network discovery.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 22, 2019 2:32 AM
  • Hi Robin,

In addition to Kapil , take a look at this article: How to Connect a Desktop to a Laptop

Mohmo

Monday, July 22, 2019 4:27 AM