User Account Profiles RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 7 Professional.  I have three User Accounts setup, with all of us having administator rights.  I have noticed that when one user adds a shortcut to their desktop, all users see the same thing.  Is there a way to have unique setting for each user (i.e., Desktop, Start Menu, etc.)?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, October 26, 2009 4:05 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to my test, the shortcut created on the Desktop or Start menu by the current user manually will not be displayed on another user’s Desktop or Start menu. They will be added to the following folders.

C:\Users\{user name}\Desktop

C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

The situation you described may occur when installing the applications. The installations will add the shortcut to all the users. Whether or not add the shortcut to all the users when installing applications depends on the scripts of the installation files.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:15 AM

All replies

• does the shortcut that was just made show up in:

C:\users\All Users\Desktop  ?
    C:\users\[username]\Desktop  ?
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

According to my test, the shortcut created on the Desktop or Start menu by the current user manually will not be displayed on another user’s Desktop or Start menu. They will be added to the following folders.

C:\Users\{user name}\Desktop

C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

The situation you described may occur when installing the applications. The installations will add the shortcut to all the users. Whether or not add the shortcut to all the users when installing applications depends on the scripts of the installation files.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:15 AM