Disk cleanup spins on Windows Update screen after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I ran the Windows Disk Cleanup wizard on a 2008 R2 machine and cleaned up the WIndows Update files, Temporary files, and Recycle Bin.  After rebooting the machine, during start up it went through the motions as though Windows Updates had applied (i.e. "Configuring Windows Updates") it got to 100% and stayed there for hours.  I had to use psexec to go in, stop the process, got into the machine, rebooted a couple times and the problem no longer occurred.  Is this a common occurrence?  Were there some files that I missed or shouldn't have deleted to cause such a hang?  We're hoping to roll out a solution to clean up the Windows Update and SxS folders on 2008 R2 and are hoping Disk Cleanup will work for us, so hoping this is a one off.
    Monday, January 29, 2018 3:16 PM

All replies

• Try to login safe boot and,

1. Delete content of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

2. Disable Windows Update Service

Try again...

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:58 AM
  • Hi,

>>After rebooting the machine, during start up it went through the motions as though Windows Updates had applied (i.e. "Configuring Windows Updates") it got to 100% and stayed there for hours.

>> Is this a common occurrence?  Were there some files that I missed or shouldn't have deleted to cause such a hang? 

AFAIK , disk cleanup  doesn't cause "configuring windows updates" .

In your case , there might be some updates was installed but the OS was not restarted .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 4:17 AM
  • I think I'm having this same issue.  If I run the disk cleanup wizard on a 2008 R2 VM, and then reboot after installing updates, it will hang on the "Configuring Windows Updates 100%" screen for 20-30 minutes.  On VMs where I don't run the cleanup wizard, the installing updates screen proceeds normally.

I've found that I just need to plan for an extremely long reboot period after running the disk cleanup wizard.  This is a relatively new behavior - previously the disk cleanup wizard did not seem to cause this problem.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:55 PM
  • I think I'm having this same issue.  If I run the disk cleanup wizard on a 2008 R2 VM, and then reboot after installing updates, it will hang on the "Configuring Windows Updates 100%" screen for 20-30 minutes.  On VMs where I don't run the cleanup wizard, the installing updates screen proceeds normally.

I've found that I just need to plan for an extremely long reboot period after running the disk cleanup wizard.  This is a relatively new behavior - previously the disk cleanup wizard did not seem to cause this problem.

After running Disk Cleanup on Windows 7, it said configuring windows updates -  it reached 100% complete but hung and still said don't turn off computer and hung.  Thank you for posting this.  I was almost at the point of powering down, but read your post.  After about 55 minutes, it switched to cleaning disk or doing cleanup or something like that - don't turn off power, then after about another 10 minutes, it finally booted up and works fine.
    • Proposed as answer by robotrobinson Monday, July 9, 2018 1:16 AM
    Monday, July 9, 2018 1:15 AM
  • It seems to be a common occurrence with the "older" operating systems. I've experienced it in Windows 7 on many different machines after the disk cleanup of windows updates. During the time of "100% complete" it seems to be using the CPU a lot, as windows update always does. My laptop fans are kicking in, so it's not just idle at 100%.

I'd guess it's rebuilding some type of database? that Disk Cleanup deleted? Since it seems to be using CPU, I'd imagine every computer will have varying delays during this phase. Maybe it's just another CPU hogging bug that they seemed to have fixed with regular updates back a few years ago with 7 & 8, and I think Vista as long as you install one of the last updates first (kb4015195) then check for updates and it shouldn't take 20+ hours to check.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 12:00 AM
  • This is a common occurrence across all Windows platforms. Check the following from Microsoft for a fully detailed list of what Disk Cleanup does and what causes it to take so long. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/253597/automating-disk-cleanup-tool-in-windows

A lot of it dissolves down to physical Disk I/O speed, the amount of data is actually being cleared or compressed, CPU, etc... I've had some disk cleanups go as fast as 5 minutes and some last up to 5 hours. After the OS is restarted, I'm fairly certain that the 'drive light' will flash occasionally. Not exactly sure what this is about, but probably has a lot to do with the system re-indexing and compressing the protected system files and folders that were not being used. It would be great if Microsoft had some technical information on this, but it seems that after the some of the latest Windows 10 updates, Disk Clean up is no longer a supported utility and we probably won't be hearing much more about it. The built-in Settings clean up tool seems to do about the same thing but with less of the waiting aftermath.

Monday, November 12, 2018 9:06 PM
  • So my experience after running Disk Cleanup and accessing System Files button and deleting on Windows 7 is that after reboot configuring windows updates seems to get stuck at 100%, power off and gets stuck at 35%, reboot to “Last Known Good Configuration” still stuck at 35% after 2 hours. Have no idea how to resolve. Disk Cleanup is a bad tool.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 3:26 PM
  • Great news. After 2h20m stuck at 35% it finally moved on to Disk Cleanup... for a few minutes and then Windows 7 returned. So morale of this issue for me is when it says Do Not Turn Off. It is best to wait for however long it needs. I suspect the first boot would have worked if I had waited more than one hour. I hadn’t seen any warnings on Disk Cleanup than a reboot make take upto 4 hours.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 4:02 PM
  • Just to help others with same problem.

I know this is a common issue. But IT IS NORMAL. BE JUST PATIENT. Very patient.

There are lots of solution on the web but it won't go far. Don't worry if you turned the computer off not gently (by long button press for example), the process will not be broken and it will restart.

As I had forgotten I had done a Disk cleanup, I first thought my computer had problems and tried a lot of "solutions for the 35%" without result. Until I found someone talking about disk cleanup. It reminded me I had done disk cleanup with "Windows update" checked.

I decided to let the computer do his job during the all night. In the morning everything was fine.

NB : this shouldn't occur if you did not check the "windows update files" option in disk cleanup. I guess it reassemble all the Windows updates pieces in one big.  (Plead note that you won't be able to uninstall updates). It's a king of service pack being done - and it takes a lot of time what a shame the % progress is wrong - (Quite rare to see any process bar saying the truth)

• Edited by Jul974 Friday, July 26, 2019 5:06 AM
    Friday, July 26, 2019 5:03 AM
  • I have the same experience. After done with Disk Cleanup of 18GB space for windows update then my computer was showing "Configuring Windows Updates 100% Complete" after I rebooted the PC. It stay this way close to 4hours ! Then finally got the windows login screen. Mine is a Windows 7 Pro 64-bits OS running on a desktop PC.

Just be patience.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 7:25 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I have faced this problem at least twice. I waited a whole night and when the day dawned, voila!
    Everything is back to normal. To solve the problem without trauma, simply relax and wait. That's it!

• Edited by dmerces Sunday, December 1, 2019 9:38 PM
    Sunday, December 1, 2019 9:09 PM