none
Secondary DPM Cannot access primary DPMs Databases RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

Whenever I try to add Primary DPMs databases to secondary DPM Protection group I get this error:

The operation failed because an error occurred while enumerating the data source for SqlServerWriter\master.

Check to see that the data source specified in the error message is online and accessible.

ID: 921

Details: Unspecified error (0x80004005)
    If I click close, I can see primary DPMs shares, all installed SQL instances but primary DPMs, protected members etc. Both servers have the same SQL updates and DPM updates installed. Their SQL version is SQL Server 2005 9.0.4266 (Post SP3 cumulative update pack 6 installed). And both DPMs have SP1 and post SP1 KB979970 installed (DPM agent version is 2.0.8864.0).

The funny thing is, windows Event logs are clear when this error happens.

The only clue I could find is a forum post with a WMI query, which runs fine for me and does not help me further...
    • Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:03 PM Moving DPM DR Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    • Moved by Praveen T [MSFT]Moderator Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:32 AM (From:DPM Disaster Protection)
    Friday, August 20, 2010 2:31 PM

All replies

• Just a quick question...

Is the SQL Writer running on the Primary DPM box?

Cheers,

Mike Resseler

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    • Proposed as answer by Parag Agrawal Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by zWaR Monday, September 27, 2010 11:10 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:58 AM
  • Please close the thread if the issue is resolved. 

thanks,

Parag

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:29 PM
  • Yes, it's running ... Besides, I won't be able to see and backup other sql instances running on the same primary dpm server. The only sql instance "invisible" to secondary DPM is the one with primary's DPM data....

Any other ideas?

Friday, September 24, 2010 6:26 AM
  • One thing I've noticed.... The same error appears when expanding the primary DPM tree in Create New Partition Group wizard on the primary DPM server. When I click close, I recieve next, very amusing message:

The database of this server is located on a remote SQL server. This line follows a more detailed description and then a notification about on which server the DPM server resides, where it states the name of the sql server (that's the machine I'm working on and has primary DPM installed), the name of the instance and a notification, that the DPM client is installed. When I click OK, I can't choose anything, under the primary DPM server node I only have a line: Remote database MS$2007$ on PrimaryDPMServerName.

Should I cry of sadness or of laughter?

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:34 AM
  • Hi zWaR,

Is the DPM agent installed on the server that hosts the remote SQL database for DPM and the SQL vss writer running on that server?

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Of course, since it's the same server. I'm having DPM and SQL server on the same machine. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enought before ...
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:04 AM
  • we are opening a bug to investigate this. but the chances of getting this fixed as part of DPM 2007 QFE is very less.so we will try to unblock you by finding a work around.

mean while can you answer following Qs

1. was this behavior there from beginning or it happened only after some changes in deployment / configuration of DPM

2. Did you do any DPM migration from one server to  other?

Thanks, NikhilKumar.R [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:43 PM