Migrate a existing list and data values to using a External Data Source RRS feed

• Question

• We have several lists that are using a list look up for the name of the item in the list, but we now want to use the external data source for these values.

Is there a way to populate the external data source field value with the existing data in the other field?  They should be the same value, but I can't figure out how to update the entire list without having to edit each record manually.

Here's an example of what we have:

CaseName (List lookup field) |  CaseName (external data source)

Joe_vs_volcano                       

Joe_vs_volcano2

Joe_vs_volcano3

Where CaseName (List Lookup Field) is where the value is currently stored but going forward we want the value in the CaseName (external data source).  We would like to update all existing list items to have the CaseName (external data source)=CaseName(List lookup Field) without having to manually edit each record.

I have tried using a "update field..." workflow, but there is nothing that will save the value in the actual external data source field.  I have also tried updating the "AllUserData" table in the correct field but Sharepoint does not see my changes.

Please help!!

Thanks!

Katie

Monday, March 12, 2012 5:08 PM

Answers

• Thanks!  I think a manual update to each record would be easier at this point.  I appreciate all the help.

• Proposed as answer by Dmitry Kaloshin Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:59 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:01 PM

All replies