Sub Totalling in ProClarity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to do a sub-total of selected children of a parent member in ProClarity Desktop Pro. The selected children would appear on Rows.

Let me explain this with an example. Let's say that 'Parent ABC' has 4 children,

- Parent ABC
      - Child 1
      - Child 2
      - Child 3
      - Child 4

On the report I would like to have the sub-total of  selected children 'Child 1' and 'Child 2' only. Currently, when I am selecting 'Child 1' and 'Child 2'  I don't see the subtotal (using the right click 'sub-total') based on the values of 'Child 1' and 'Child 2'. Also when I am selecting 'Parent ABC' and 'Child 1' and 'Child 2' I see the total of all the children (1,2,3 and 4).  Powerplay displays the sub-total with ease. Small issues like these are affecting migration of reports to Proclarity.

Please help.

Thanks

Bidyut

Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:40 AM

Answers

• It may be that the UI doesn't support what you're looking to do, but I would still recommend you consult the ProClarity Professional help file, and specifically the "How subtotals display in the grid" section.  This should give you a good idea of how subtotals work and whether or not you are able to accomplish what you are looking to accomplish with the UI.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:59 PM

All replies

• Will you please place the hierarchy you are referring to on rows, leave the columns at the all time member, and have a single member selected for measures in the background, and then choose just the member of "Child 1" and "Child 2" on rows?  So the query should be very simple, and should basically just be "Child 1" and "Child 2".  Now, when you right-click and choose to sub-total, what happens?  If you're still seeing strange behavior, can you try to reproduce with AdWorks so we can take a look at what you're seeing?

For the second part of your question, if you include the parent, that is going to be the aggregated value of all the children, and if you subtotal that, the sub-total is going to the be the added values of all the children, which in other words is the aggregated value of the children, which will be the same as the parent.  This is expected.

Monday, July 28, 2008 11:31 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thank you for responding to the question. The 'Subtotal' works the way you had described, but when I am selecting multiple children from more than one parent (without selecting the parent'), I am not getting the 'sub-total' for the parent I do have the correct 'Subtotal' at the bottom (column) of the grid (which should be actually the Column 'Grand Total's). I am not getting the 'Subtotal' of the children selected at different parent level.

Anyways, I have created the report after re-writing the MDX in Proclarity. I am not sure if Proclarity UI allows us to create the kind of subtotal I am looking at.

Thank You.

Bidyut

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:45 AM
  • It may be that the UI doesn't support what you're looking to do, but I would still recommend you consult the ProClarity Professional help file, and specifically the "How subtotals display in the grid" section.  This should give you a good idea of how subtotals work and whether or not you are able to accomplish what you are looking to accomplish with the UI.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:59 PM