none
How do I read and write from/to i5/OS data queue with Host Integration Services? RRS feed

• Question

• It looks like this feature was removed from Data Integration in 2010, so I suppose there is another way to do it.  I need to read and write to data queues in i5/OS V5R4, V6R1 and/or V7R1.  Does anyone know if I can do this with Host Services?

Microsoft AS/400 Data Queues ActiveX Control has been removed from Host Integration Server. The HIS team would like feedback from customers who require direct access to AS/400 data queues to prioritize work on a replacement technology. You can provide feedback about the Host Integration Server on the Microsoft Connect site listed below.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:43 PM

Answers

• The current versions of Host Integration Server don't include features that can be used to access i5/OS (AS/400) data queues. The previous AS/400 Data Queue ActiveX Control was not widely implemented by HIS customers.  

The last time someone asked about this, one option that was raised was to write an application that wraps the IBM Client Access .NET interfaces for remote DTAQs. Another option is so write a CL/RPG/C/Java program on the i5 system that the HIS Transaction Integrator (TI) or BizTalk Adapter for Host Applications can call remotely to access the data queues.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:44 PM

All replies

• The current versions of Host Integration Server don't include features that can be used to access i5/OS (AS/400) data queues. The previous AS/400 Data Queue ActiveX Control was not widely implemented by HIS customers.  

The last time someone asked about this, one option that was raised was to write an application that wraps the IBM Client Access .NET interfaces for remote DTAQs. Another option is so write a CL/RPG/C/Java program on the i5 system that the HIS Transaction Integrator (TI) or BizTalk Adapter for Host Applications can call remotely to access the data queues.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:44 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

As you have mentioned above "Another option is so write a CL/RPG/C/Java program on the i5 system that the HIS Transaction Integrator (TI) or BizTalk Adapter for Host Applications can call remotely to access the data queues."

How to call a CL( control language Program) from BizTalk? Please explain.

vaibhav

Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:29 PM
  • You cannot call a CL program from BizTalk directly. However, you could wrap it in a Web Service hosted in e.g. Java on the AS/400 i5 System. You could also, as previously mentioned in the thread, use the  IBM Client Access .NET interfaces.

Another option could be to write your own BizTalk adapter using the IBM Client Access .NET interfaces, either in .NET or PowerShell.

Did my post help? Please use "Vote As Helpful", "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

Friday, February 3, 2017 8:33 AM