none
DHCP backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

added 17 DHCP servers from remote sites into DHCP console on Windows 10.

Need to make a backup of each added server from the console.

When right click on server name\backup option and click OK for saving in selected folder nothing happens.

The target folder is empty.

No error message is a good sign. Kind of it is doable...

What I am missing?

Or it is not a valid option and the backup could be done only on each server when connected...

Thx.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:42 PM

Answers

• When you select the backup option and choose a folder, it will actually be creating the backup on the DHCP server itself.  So if you are running the DHCP MMC on your local workstation, when you choose the backup option, it will not write to the computer that's running the MMC, but instead to the DHCP server's file system.  This is very confusing because the Browse for Folder dialog displays the contents of your local drive, yet the files will be written to the DHCP server.
    • Edited by Ryan-Smith Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:31 PM spelling
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:47 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:30 PM

All replies

• I dont think its a good idea. Better try from Powershell to backup all the DHCP servers.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/ce2f2e46-5a6d-473d-9ba2-e9296f511f8b

Regards, MC Manikandan

Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:23 PM
  • When you select the backup option and choose a folder, it will actually be creating the backup on the DHCP server itself.  So if you are running the DHCP MMC on your local workstation, when you choose the backup option, it will not write to the computer that's running the MMC, but instead to the DHCP server's file system.  This is very confusing because the Browse for Folder dialog displays the contents of your local drive, yet the files will be written to the DHCP server.
    • Edited by Ryan-Smith Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:31 PM spelling
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:47 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:30 PM
  • Ryan, you are right. It is so weird... It actually creates the folder at the same location that was selected on the workstation.

Let say I saved a backup in Localmahine\Desktop\DHCP backup site01, but the Folder with backup is created on the server for which I perform backup. What a comedy :).

MC Manikandan, in Q and A section of the blog are problematic descriptions.

So I will do it manually from the console and then will automate backup copy to a central location.

Thanks!

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:18 PM