Update existing Excel document that is in SharePoint 10.0 when another document with updates becomes avaiable RRS feed

• Question

• We have a number of documents that the users update on a daily bases.  After they are done updating those documents we manually open another existing SharePoint document and update it.  Is there any way in the SharePoint system that when one document is updated that it opens and updates another automatically?

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:40 PM

Answers

• The SharePoint "system" isn't sophisticated enough to update content within a specific document.  The system is designed more for entire item/document handling. (The postman delivers the mail, but he doesn't open and react to it.)

BUT, there's always VBA. In VBA, you can open and edit documents with great ease! Cure Baldness, end hunger, etc.  The difficult part is triggering the code at the appropriate time, but trial and error will help you determine it.

With that, you're probably thinking that you have to add the code to every spreadsheet, but I vaguely remember that there is the ability to make a global template that all other documents can share. You should be able to put the code in there, and make it accessible to all other documents.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Easy Bins Dumpster Rentals of Northern VA. (Specializing in driveway-sized roll-off dumpsters.)
    Be sure to click one of them there forum buttons that artificially inflates my narcissitic ego... I mean gives me points.

• Marked as answer by Dano69 Friday, August 31, 2012 9:16 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:37 PM

All replies

• The SharePoint "system" isn't sophisticated enough to update content within a specific document.  The system is designed more for entire item/document handling. (The postman delivers the mail, but he doesn't open and react to it.)

BUT, there's always VBA. In VBA, you can open and edit documents with great ease! Cure Baldness, end hunger, etc.  The difficult part is triggering the code at the appropriate time, but trial and error will help you determine it.

With that, you're probably thinking that you have to add the code to every spreadsheet, but I vaguely remember that there is the ability to make a global template that all other documents can share. You should be able to put the code in there, and make it accessible to all other documents.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Easy Bins Dumpster Rentals of Northern VA. (Specializing in driveway-sized roll-off dumpsters.)
    Be sure to click one of them there forum buttons that artificially inflates my narcissitic ego... I mean gives me points.

• Marked as answer by Dano69 Friday, August 31, 2012 9:16 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Thank you I appreciate the input.
    Friday, August 31, 2012 4:07 PM