Installing Windows Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had my Windows 7 O/S re-installed.  This required that I install all important updates (>100).  This took for ever, as you can imagine, and "froze" on numerous occasions.  In the meantime other recent updates were being installed without my knowledge...same problem...freezing.  Windows update is now set to install updates automatically and I cannot change this setting back to "Check for updates but let me choose when to install them".  The message reads "Some settings are managed by your system administrator". I am the administrator with full permissions (I believe) and am not aware of any "Group Policies" preventing me from making the change.  Can someone please assist me?
    • Moved by Yan Li_ Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:45 AM move to windows 7 forum
    Monday, April 10, 2017 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want to change your settings on Windows Updates manually (not from registry) you can delete added sub key under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU to leave only the "default" sub key.

In addition you can also Try this in GP:

1. Click Start, type gpedit.msc and press Enter.

2. Locate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer.

3. Double-click “Security Zones: Do not allow users to change policies” on the right pane

4. Choose “Not Configured” and click OK.

5. Restart the computer and test the result.

You can also delete the registry key “Security_HKLM_only” under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings directly.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:58 AM