none
Unable to backup due to missing log files RRS feed

• Question

• For a while now, we have been unable to make recovery points for 2 out 6 Exchange 2007 SP3 databases. The errors in the logs indicate that it is looking for a transaction log file that didn't exist, and thousands after it that also don't exist. That's fine and I'm not as concerned about missing transaction log files as the fact I can't get backups anymore because it fails after trying to get this ghost transaction log file. I've tried consistency checks (which succeed, but any attempt at a recovery point fails), stop/restart protection, and a complete re-seed of the databases. It is still looking for the missing log file.

According to eseutil, the file that is missing is the next one after the last complete backup. How can I get DPM/Exchange to ignore the missing transaction log files, I really thought re-seeding at least would have fixed this problem.

Here are the relevant errors in the event log:

The Microsoft Exchange Replication service VSS Writer instance e82a03c9-b052-493b-a670-4619b75ad2a3 could not find file J:\<snip>\E010037D370.log. Backup is aborted.

The Microsoft Exchange Replication Service VSS writer (instance da3a30ad-7fbb-44c9-8cc2-2a4327aab6e8) failed with error code 80070002 when preparing for a backup of storage group '<snip>'.
    The Microsoft Exchange Replication Service VSS writer (instance da3a30ad-7fbb-44c9-8cc2-2a4327aab6e8) failed with error code 80070002 when preparing for a backup.

Monday, October 31, 2011 1:49 PM

Answers

• We were able to resolve this by dismounting the relevant databases, confirming that the transaction logs had all been played, removing the transaction logs and checkpoint file, and finally remounting the databases. 
    • Marked as answer by MattM6 Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi MattM6,

Have you enabled circular logging? If so, disable it.

If you modify the protectiongroup that your exchange databases resides, uncheck those and check them again, click thorugh the wizard and run a CC again, what happends?

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 12:44 PM
  • We don't use circular logging.

As I mentioned before, I've completely removed the protection group and recreated it, hoping that a re-seed would get backups started again. I have also already done as you suggested (remove from protection, re-add), and the CC came back successful, but every attempt to create a recovery point after the CC fails with the same error.

At this point, we've had to manually remove transaction logs that have already been committed to the database to prevent the drive from running out of space.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 1:02 PM
  • We were able to resolve this by dismounting the relevant databases, confirming that the transaction logs had all been played, removing the transaction logs and checkpoint file, and finally remounting the databases. 
    • Marked as answer by MattM6 Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:15 PM