none
IE currently selected printer name RRS feed

• Question

• In IE, before printing any document we can select a printer which is not a default printer and print any web page. Where does this information stored? When user prints any document that is opened in IE, I want to capture the printer name that is selected. I am fine even to create an ActiveX control to retrieve that information. Appreciate your early response.
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 6:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use process monitor to monitor what are doing. After i monitored, i found while printing in IE, it will query the deviceinterfaceid, which corresponds to the printer you selected.

You can find the printer with its deviceinterfaceid through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\Print\Printers.

Hopes it will help you.

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use process monitor to monitor what are doing. After i monitored, i found while printing in IE, it will query the deviceinterfaceid, which corresponds to the printer you selected.

You can find the printer with its deviceinterfaceid through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\Print\Printers.

Hopes it will help you.

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:59 AM
  • Where does this information stored?

Looks like WMIC knows too.  And it would let you capture the list easily.

C:\Windows\System32\wbem>wmic.exe  printer list brief

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:34 PM
    Answerer