none
DPM 2012 600 volume limit and DPM tapes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've recently hit the 600 volume limit on my DPM 2012 server and I have an issue with tapes. Currently, I've broken my backups down into different groups - file shares, Exchange, SQL, application X, Y, Z, etc.

This has presented me with a problem within DPM. Currently, using LT05 tapes I'm getting "Failed to perform the operation since the tape free tape is not available in Tape Library" amongst a lot of my backup jobs. For example, application XYZ takes around 3.5GB up on a 3TB LT05 tape, but instead of using up the rest of the space, I'm getting "tape ready for offiste storage".

Do I need to amend the tape settings for each protection group? How can I do this whilst maintaining the integrity of my existing backups?

If I start to merge protection groups, will this ruin the integrity of my existing backups?

Am I right in thinking that if I create multiple protection groups, by default do they use different tapes for the backup jobs?

Also, where can I view how long it took a job to complete?

Thanks

IT Support/Everything

• Edited by Aetius2012 Monday, August 5, 2013 3:25 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You will need to make one of more protection group sets (PGSET) after clicking on the Optimize tape Usage button under management - Libraries.   If you want to have different protection groups share tapes, place them in the same PGSet, if not make separate PGSets for each protection group.  Modify the PGset and click on the Advanced button and specify how long you want DPM to write to the tape before marking it offsite ready. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 9, 2013 6:33 PM