none
MDT 8450 No Bootable Device Found Dell Precision 5530

Question

• Hello, 

MDT Version: 8450

System being imaged: Dell Mobile Precision 5530

I am running in to an issue where after the install Operating System phase, on first reboot the system is throwing a no bootable device found error.  BIOS and boot options do not display Windows Boot Manager.  I found the following Dell article, but this is in reference to an older version of MDT and the line to be replaced does not exist on my server.

Boot Manager Not Found On First Reboot After MDT Install Using UEFI

When I run the deployment on my VMware test VM, it runs all the way through without any errors at all.  I believe it has something to do with the UEFI BIOS as described in the article, as the VM is using legacy BIOS and has no issues, I just don't know where to start troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance,

Zak

Moderators & Contingent Staff: I humbly request that you do not mark any reply, whether yours or someone else, as an answer unless the original poster confirms it resolved their issue. Thank you for your understanding.

• Edited by Zak Lyles Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:19 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:17 PM

All replies

• Check your task sequence and make sure you are formatting the drive for UEFI to match the BIOS settings.
    Friday, December 7, 2018 2:19 PM
  • Should I disable the "Format and Partition Disk (BIOS)" step?  Both the BIOS and UEFI format options are enabled currently.  Unfortunately, this is a remote site and I won't be able to test until Monday when I have a tech on site to test the deployment.  I will follow up then.

Moderators & Contingent Staff: I humbly request that you do not mark any reply, whether yours or someone else, as an answer unless the original poster confirms it resolved their issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Friday, December 7, 2018 2:26 PM
  • Yes, I would disable that especially if its running after the UEFI formatting. And if you are only using this task sequence for UEFI its not needed.
    Friday, December 7, 2018 5:40 PM