account lock RRS feed

• Question

• hi gurus

I have a windows vista business machine, this machine is using a process that is locking the use account all the time, there used to be a tool for this troubleshooting names alockout, but it seems it does not work on this vista only on xp down, is there a tool similar to this for vista troubleshooting, how can I find the services that creationg all this.

Thanks a bunch

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think that we can run the LockoutStatus.exe on domain controller to identify and investigate the account lockout issue. Account Lockout and Management Tools can be used on Windows Server 2008 as well.

For more information, please refer to the following links:

Windows 7 Domain Account Lock Out Problem

Account Lockout and Management Tools

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, December 6, 2010 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before moving on, I would like to confirm that the following questions for further research:

1. Does the account belong to domain?

2. What is the detailed symptom when the account was locked?

If this account is in a domain, I suggest contacting the network administrator to check if there are any policies used.

However, if it is a home user, please create a new user account to have a test.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 7:00 AM
  • Sabrina

Thanks a bunch for jumping in on this.

1) yes the user account belongs to a domain

2) The user is working just find and suddling the account gets lock, the reason we know is because the user email start requestion for password, please let me know if you need any other detail that might help you identify this issue.

3) I already did and there is no new policy, reason why we believe is a process that fires and request authentication and because the information is bad, locks the account, That is why we thought we could use the alockout.dll tool but it seems like it does not work on vista, because I get no log that might help us identify the process in question.

Thanks sabrina for the help.

Monday, November 29, 2010 1:55 PM
  • My bad !!! Could the thread starter please unmark the question as the answer to the question ? Do I need to ask this as a question here ? Bummer !
    Now, to your question...if you know that the email password is bunk, then the administrator needs to configure this so that the password is reset, or there is no password.

"http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/default.aspx ". This is MICROSOFT'S new, FREE, fully automated, anonymous support portal, which can help users resolve windows and other product issues with a few mouse clicks. BOOKMARK THIS SITE, EVERYBODY !!!
    Monday, November 29, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Hi,

I think that we can run the LockoutStatus.exe on domain controller to identify and investigate the account lockout issue. Account Lockout and Management Tools can be used on Windows Server 2008 as well.

For more information, please refer to the following links:

Windows 7 Domain Account Lock Out Problem

Account Lockout and Management Tools

Regards,

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, December 6, 2010 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:14 AM
  • NT.

The I would guess that the account can be block,due to any process auth, but because the user is hook up to exchange and auth request is often sent from the client/server, we notice that it does come back because the account has been already locked, but it could be easyly been working for 2 hours before the process in question locks the account.

I need to identify the process that is locking the account.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Sabrina

I will follow your adv. and I will let you know my progress

Thanks a bunch again

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:50 PM