What are your best practices for creating ms office version independent streams RRS feed

• Question

• When including office addins, at a customer the best practice that was made required us to point osd files to batch files that contained commands like "start excel %1" or "start word %1" instead of pointing to the absolute path of the executable. This approach has proven to be unsuccesfull when used in conjunction with office fta's that are coupled to the stream.
    See issue below.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/599e89db-d186-4e7f-becd-1f329adbf426

Do you even attempt to try to create office version independent streams ?
    An option could be to create a systemvariable to the office path and refer to it in the streams.
    Of course addins in question should also be technically compatible with both office versions, in order to even use the stream for both office versions.

If any of the above is unclear, please let me know.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm not sure what it is they are trying to achieve. If you sequence an addin you either DSC it with a virtualized version of Office or just sequence the addin to leverage a locally installed version of office by pointing to the .exe in the C:\Program Files\ install directory for office.

Or you could sequence Office and the addin together into the one bubble or even Sequence a bunch of addins together in one virtualized application point to a local install or DSC with that.

Not sure why you'd use commands like that. There's no need.

Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:25 PM
  • What do you mean by "independent streams"? do you mean the Office applications are in different packages?

I usually recommend against putting the Office packages into different packages - use a single package instead. DSC may be used to add plugins to those packages.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:39 PM