none
limit nonpaged pool memory in windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to limit the max nonpaged pool memory in windows 10?  It doesn't appear to be limited.  Common answers on the internet don't seem to work when tested with Notmyfault.exe. (HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\NonPagedPoolSize)
    • Edited by JS2010 Friday, November 8, 2019 6:47 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2019 6:44 PM

All replies

• May be because that key name is wrong??

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/memory/memory-management-registry-keys

It should be NonPagedPoolLimit not Size..

I think you already had a look at this great info from Mark Russinovich as you mention NotMyFault:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2009/03/10/pushing-the-limits-of-windows-paged-and-nonpaged-pool/

HTH
    -mario

Saturday, November 9, 2019 12:14 PM
  • I tried NonPagedPoolLimit too.  I think it's only for 32-bit os's.  Yes, I've seen that blog.  
    • Edited by JS2010 Saturday, November 9, 2019 1:40 PM
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Windows Internals 7th Edition gives the limit for Windows 10 64 bit as 16 TB. There does not appear to be a way to change it.

Sunday, November 10, 2019 9:42 PM
  • Just to be sure, I tried a boot log trace on my machine, and looks like the registry key NonPagedPoolSize or NonPagedPoolLimit are no longer used.

I've also an old Windows 8 trace and already at that time those keys were no longer used..

HTH
    -mario

• Proposed as answer by mariora_ Monday, November 11, 2019 3:07 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2019 3:06 PM
  • So what's the best way to troubleshoot a suspected device driver memory leak on hp 2018 lab computers?

Monday, November 11, 2019 3:09 PM
  • poolmon..

Ordered Paged and Non paged pool 

poolmon -n c:\temp\pool.txt -e -u

Schedule the above command to be executed every 3 or 5 minutes.

Then open the log in notepad++ and search for occurrence of the top Tags. You should see easily what tags is leaking. Then to found the driver look inside pooltag.txt of the debugging tools for windows or search the tag directly using findstr. By example to find the tag "cont" or "Wvsp"

findstr /m /l cont *.sys
    findstr /m /l Wvsp *.sys 

Once you foun dthe driver, update/remove it

HTH
    -mario

• Edited by mariora_ Monday, November 11, 2019 3:45 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2019 3:43 PM
  • You might also consider using the pool tracking option of DriverVerifier. This tracks allocations and frees and on unload "reports" (via a BSOD) any allocations from that driver that were not freed prior to unload.

MarkC(MSFT)

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 4:03 PM