Block Downloads on an Administrator Account RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm currently attempting to use Steady State to block my employees from downloading files to their desktop at work. The problem happened when an application they needed would not run as limited user so I had to increase their account to an administrator account.

After logging in as their account, I am still unable to right-click, still unable to see mapped drives, still unable to change many of the settings I requested through Steady State but now I'm able to download applications from the internet. And ultimately install them. I'm assuming this would also work the same way for text and pdf documents which are not allowed to be downloaded.

Is there anyway to have Steady State block the downloads of files off the internet of an administrator account?

Thanks,

Adam

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:08 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Adam, we can use the following steps to block downloading files of an Administrator account:

1.       Use the account to log on the computer.

2.       Open IE, select Tools – Internet Options.

3.       Under Security tab, select Internet and choose "Custom level".

4.       Select "Disable" under File download.

You can also block the user to adjust the setting to re-enable the function:

1.       Launch SteadyState by using another Administrator account.

2.       Select the previous Administrator account in SteadyState.

3.       Select Feature Restrictions – Internet Explorer restrictions – Menu Options – Remove Internet options.  

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:37 AM