none
Restore server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PC server that is critical to company operations. This server was before my time. In short I do not have the access to reinstall the application in it to another server. currently is infected with brontok virus. decided to run kaspersky anti virus on the server, but created a restore point prior to installing antivirus. after installing the anti virus, there seems to be a problem with the antivirus installed, I cannot manage the antivirus.. decided to uninstall it but can no longer uninstall it. If I restore the server to the restore point created prior to installing the antivirus, would the current database still remain? or would it return to the database state when the restore point was created?
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 10:36 AM

All replies

1. When you recover to a restore point everything is rolled back to that point in time, i.e. all files and settings
    2. Assume your wanting to see if you can recover the delta data from the current EDB into the point in time backup?  If so I would first see if its possible to copy the EDB from the exchange server to another machine and of course you would want to do this from a machine that is fully protected in order to keep any infected files from spreading.
    3. Once you have the EDB file I would do a scan against it and if all is well you could use the RDB method to restore the missing data or if you are open to 3rd part products you can use our DigiScope product in DEMO mode to review the data within the EDB and then if desired purchase a license for use

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks from ALL versions of Exchange Offline EDB's, On-Premises Exchange Databases & Office 365. Export, Migrate/Recover into On-Premises Exchange Server, Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:09 PM
  • If it is a snapshot then it is not supported by Microsoft. You cannot restore a server back in time and not expect to have dataloss.

The only way really is to build a new VM with the same name and run the setup with the /RecoverServer switch and then attach your database back.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:23 PM
  • As suggested by Edward, build a new VM and run the setup with the /RecoverServer switch and then attach your Exchange database back.
    Monday, June 24, 2019 4:43 AM
  • Hi, 

You have your Exchange database file (EDB) in your system, then you can try to recover data from it. For that, you need a reliable third party application like SysTools, RecoveryTools, Pcvita, etc. 

Select any of the Exchange Server Recovery Tool (I advice SysTools EDB Restore software) to recover and restore EDB mailbox items without any loss. Visit: https://www.systoolsgroup.com/exchange-recovery.html

It can recover missing and lost data from an Exchange Server EDB file easily without any loss. Try this once, to see whether it can resolve or not using its free trial demo version of the software. 

Regards,

Alfyie

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:20 AM