none
Why should we assign several categories to a group? RRS feed

• Question

• i was wondering why several categories are assigned by default to default groups in project server 2010?

for example for project manager group there are "my organization" and "my project" assigned

It can be done just by adding "my project" category and selecting all "my organization" permission for it

it is confusing

• Edited by Sam-Net Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:16 PM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Sam,

using different categories allows you to set up different permissions depending on relationship to projects and resources.

"My Organization" contains for example all projects and all resources. When using this category for your project manager group, you can for example allow them to see or even open all projects, but not saving or publishing them.

Category My Projects, defines for example projects PM is owner or status manager of. When assigning this category, you will set up that PMs are allowed to save and publish these projects (what they need to do).

On groups, you define in Global Permissions what a user is allowed to do in general. In category you define, what a user is allowed to see (and especially in what views he is allowed to see it). When you combine group with category, you define what a user is allowed to do on what kind of objects.

Does that help a bit?
    Barbara

• Proposed as answer by Amit.Wairkar Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sam-Net Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:18 PM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

perhaps following article will describe better than I do. It is for 2007, but concept is the same for 2010: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ms422445(v=office.12).aspx

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Sam-Net Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:17 PM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

using different categories allows you to set up different permissions depending on relationship to projects and resources.

"My Organization" contains for example all projects and all resources. When using this category for your project manager group, you can for example allow them to see or even open all projects, but not saving or publishing them.

Category My Projects, defines for example projects PM is owner or status manager of. When assigning this category, you will set up that PMs are allowed to save and publish these projects (what they need to do).

On groups, you define in Global Permissions what a user is allowed to do in general. In category you define, what a user is allowed to see (and especially in what views he is allowed to see it). When you combine group with category, you define what a user is allowed to do on what kind of objects.

Does that help a bit?
    Barbara

• Proposed as answer by Amit.Wairkar Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sam-Net Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:18 PM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:28 PM
  • thanks for your help

but I still have problem with these concepts. we know that permissions are cumulative and what we set in "my project" would affect permissions in "my organization".so for example in "project manager" group we assign "my project "category and all permissions are selected except "manage resource plan"  in project part.unlike "my project" category, in "my organization" category all permissions are unselected except "manage resource plan". what does it mean? what is the difference if we just assign " my project" and select all permission

by the way, in " my organization" category we select "All current and future projects in Project Server database " and in " my project" category we select dynamic filter.which one does override which one? and why? by default it seems "my project" permission overrides " my category" and project manager can't see all project as it is defined in "my organization"

I would appreciate you if answer my questions one bye one.

Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

permissions are cumulative.

If you allow someting in for a group on My projects, a user will be allowed to do everything you set to "Allow" on projects as defined in My Projects. In addition, he will be allowed to do some things as defined on all projects, when you assign My Organization with some permssions.

So with your example:

"so for example in "project manager" group we assign "my project "category and all permissions are selected except "manage resource plan"  in project part.unlike "my project" category, in "my organization" category all permissions are unselected except "manage resource plan". what does it mean?

You allow PMs to do everything except "manage resource plan" on their own projects. But you allow them to do this on alle existing projects. From my point of view, this does not make sense and other PMs might not be very happy if a resource plan is defined by someone else on their project.

For "what is the difference if we just assign " my project" and select all permission" ". In my opinion, you should do so (may be without set protected baseline, depending on your processes): This will allow a user to do everything on their own projects.

But in addition, you may need to define additioal permissions to this grup for My Organization. For example to see all resources, to be able to respect some planing restrictions. Or Open projects, to be allowed to see project summary task in Resource Usage view in Project Professional. Only with this permission, a user will see what projects need the same resources at the same time - if ist iis the case.

When you write "can't see all project as it is defined in "my organization"", check views assigned to this category. Is a Project Center view selected? This is mandatory to be allowed to use a  view to see projects.

Regards
    Barbara

Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

perhaps following article will describe better than I do. It is for 2007, but concept is the same for 2010: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ms422445(v=office.12).aspx

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Sam-Net Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:17 PM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

Regards
    Barbara

thanks Barbara

the link was so helpful.unfortunately I saw it before but didn't pay enough attention to it. there are some points that I need to know better

it's about dynamic rules.it's written:

• All current and future projects in Project Server database
      adds all projects in the Published database to the category. The
      category filters projects according to the five dynamic rules check
      boxes below the project list.

• Only the projects indicated below means the specified projects in the category can also be restricted further by the dynamic rules check boxes.

the part which is underlined is confusing.I used to think when I select "all current and ...." , 5 dynamic rules don't consider anymore but in this guidline it's written against what I thought. which one is correct?

another question is about one of dynamic filter: "The User is on that project's Project Team"

in description about it is written:"users do not need to have assignments on the project"

but I tried it several times.it didn't work.but when I assign a task it works. what should I do?

Monday, November 5, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Hi,

you thought correct: The underlined section is not true. You can either select All current and future ..., or Only projects indicated  ... to define dynamic rules.

What are you missing, when a user is member of project's team, but has no assignment? I am only aware of a difference for project site. When you use default setting for site provisioning. Team members have read access to site, team members with assignments have also write access. Do you see an additional difference?

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, November 5, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

you thought correct: The underlined section is not true. You can either select All current and future ..., or Only projects indicated  ... to define dynamic rules.

What are you missing, when a user is member of project's team, but has no assignment? I am only aware of a difference for project site. When you use default setting for site provisioning. Team members have read access to site, team members with assignments have also write access. Do you see an additional difference?

Regards
    Barbara

Hi,

when a user is a member of project team (when I build team I only add it to the list and don't assign any task) and "The User is on that project's Project Team" is selected can't see that project which is in it's team. because of that I have to assign at least one task to him/her to enable him/her to see the project.completely diffrent from what is written in description

Monday, November 5, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

sorry, I am not able to reproduce. For a quick test, I did the following:

• Created a new category "test", where I only selected  "The User is on that project's Project Team" in project section.
    • Created a new group "test" and added category "Test". I allowed View Project Schedule in Project Web App and View Project Summary in Project Center for this category. In Global Permissions, I allowed View Project Center and View Project Schedule Views in section Views.
    • I created a Project Center view Test1 and a Project view Test2 and added category test to both (at the bottom).
    • I added one user to my group test.
    • I created a project and added this user to team and published.
    • I logged in as this user and can see my new project.

I am allows to see this project without any assignment. Does this fail for you?

Barbara

Monday, November 5, 2012 6:09 PM
  • To all,

Note, category permissions are not cumulative, only group permissions are cumulative. Category permissions are specific to the relationship between individual Groups and Category.

Treb Gatte | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:26 AM
  • Hi Treb,

you are right, I was not clear in my wording. Category permissions are cumulative per object. If a user is aloowd to see a project by category1, to save it by category2, but not allowed to save procteced baseline, but gets this permissions because of category3, he will be allowed to do all of it. The same is true for resources. And will be overwritten by any Deny - so be careful in using this.

My main reason for using more categories is most realted to views. In this way, I can define different views, displaying relevant information. E.g. a Project Center view "My own projects", with all projects, user is owner and status manager of. Another view "My projects", with all projects user is team member of, .....

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:33 AM
  • Hi Barbara

your senario is exactly the same what I did.except for doing this for "project manager" default group

I can't see the same result.didn't you assign any task to the user?

what should I do?

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:23 AM
  • Hi Barbara

your senario is exactly the same what I did.except for doing this for "project manager" default group

I can't see the same result.didn't you assign any task to the user?

what should I do?

Hi,

finally I found out what the problem is.first of all i thought it's because of "Backward compatible mode" (I install project server 2010 with BCM setting) but I was wrong.the problem returns to publishing projects.

when I use "built team" in web site I just click on "save" and the publish buttom is not active.so when I open it in MSP professional and save and publish it, all things work like a charm.

thanks Barbara for your help

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:14 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for feedback. I was thinking about possible reasons, but I  I ran out of ideas.

Success!
    Barbara

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:40 PM