none
Windows Server Backup fails bare metal recovery from Linux Samba/NAS

Question

• I'm running into an issue where any file or full image restore will fail when done from a Linux/NAS Samba share, (Replicated issue on a Lenovo NAS, and an Ubuntu server), however succeeds when the same backup is restored from a Windows computer sharing the file.

To rule out file permissions the Ubuntu samba share was given set to 777 and owned by the backup user. 

The error message I am receiving is: Incorrect function. (0x80070001)

Anyone ever run into this before, or have any ideas of how to fix it?

If you need more information let me know.

Thanks

• Edited by sbog Wednesday, January 03, 2018 10:00 PM
    Wednesday, January 03, 2018 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is recommend to back up your server to local connected disks. Such as USB drive.

> Backs up your server running Windows Server Essentials. The data is backed up to an external USB drive.
    Quote from “Manage Backup and Restore in Windows Server Essentials”:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713536(v=ws.11).aspx

If you want to back up to NAS, it is recommended to configure your NAS as iSCSI target, connect your Windows Server to it via iSCSI initiator.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 04, 2018 8:31 AM
  • We are attempting to mitigate issues that could be caused by ransomware, for this reason we decided to use a unmounted SMB share as ransomeware will often encrypt all drives or simple delete detected backup data. For this reason locally attached storage is not an acceptable solution.

Do you have any advice on fixing the issue I brought up?

I understand you are trying to help, but simply saying to not use that feature is not helpful.

Thursday, January 04, 2018 1:49 PM
  • Hi,

BMR failed when backup file stored on specific NAS, such as Linux/NAS Samba share, Lenovo NAS, and Ubuntu server with error “Incorrect function. (0x80070001)”.

Please check Event Viewer and confirm that if any relate event is logged, it would be helpful for further identification. Such as Application log with source VSS.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 05, 2018 8:36 AM
  • There are no related logs since BMR is done from installation media it will not log to event viewer.

There is no issue with the backup we have tested copying the backup files from the NAS to local storage on the server and restoring from that and it was successful.

Friday, January 05, 2018 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

As there is no other relate event/log file, only according to the error message, we are difficult to identify the details, as it is relate to hardware and 3rd party product and we are unable to re-product it on my test environment.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, January 08, 2018 8:15 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:38 AM
  • Can you mount it as an iSCSI volume and try restore from that instead?

Robert Pearman Cloud & Datacentre MVP
    @titlerequired | LinkedIn | Google+
    Facebook | Windows Server Essentials.com

Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:22 AM
  • I thought about that but from what I can tell there is no iSCSI initiator in Windows RE, so I wouldn't have a way to reconnect it to restore.

It looks like we're just going to continue to backup to the NAS over SMB, but if we need to restore we will copy the backup to external storage and restore from that locally on the server.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:34 PM
  • Not by default, but it is possible to add.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jimriekse/2015/07/15/bare-metal-restore-using-iscsi-with-server-20122012r2/

Robert Pearman Cloud & Datacentre MVP
    @titlerequired | LinkedIn | Google+
    Facebook | Windows Server Essentials.com

Friday, January 12, 2018 9:04 AM