move/migrate Public Folder from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010!? RRS feed

• Question

• How to proceed: how to move a public folder to exchange 2010!?
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:52 PM

Answers

• Public Folders from Exchange 2007 to 2010 need to be configured to replicate.  Any other Exchange 2010 mailbox servers that reside in your environment will also need to have public folders set to replicate.  DAG is not supported for PF in Exchange 2010. 

see here for more info:

SF - MCITP:EMA, MCTS: Exchange 2010, Exchange 2007, MOSS 2007, OCS 2007 -- http://www.scottfeltmann.com
    • Marked as answer by C-ROD Friday, December 4, 2009 10:03 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Have you created a public folder db on the 2010 server?
    if not, create one and set up the replication between them

I paste in a link here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123619(EXCHG.65).aspx
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:32 PM

All replies

• Have you created a public folder db on the 2010 server?
    if not, create one and set up the replication between them

I paste in a link here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123619(EXCHG.65).aspx
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Public Folders from Exchange 2007 to 2010 need to be configured to replicate.  Any other Exchange 2010 mailbox servers that reside in your environment will also need to have public folders set to replicate.  DAG is not supported for PF in Exchange 2010. 

see here for more info:

SF - MCITP:EMA, MCTS: Exchange 2010, Exchange 2007, MOSS 2007, OCS 2007 -- http://www.scottfeltmann.com
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:14 PM
  • I know this is old, but can you tell me how to get rid of the 2007 public folder database once everything is replicated to the new database? I still cannot seem to delete the public folder db on the Exchange 2007 server.
    Jan
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Your answer makes absolutely NO sense. The person asks about "2007 to 2010," yet the link you provided is from 2006, regarding Exchange 2000 & 2003.

tnjman
    FYI, this was directed to Jonas Andersson - his link was regarding older versions.
    • Edited by TNJMAN Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:15 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Excellent point. There's plenty of talk about "needing to replicate [from 2007 to 2010]" - but what about the point where you [we] need to 'de-commission' the 2007 server?

Am I missing something? Is there not a clean way to just MOVE public folders from "ye olde 2007 server & infrastructure" to the new 2010 server & infrastructure?

The answers here seem to be vague - more clear answers might be like: "You cannot really MOVE the public folders, you must configure them to replicate; and then you have to shut down the old server..." ??? (with some details about the de-commissioning of the old server.

And if they are configured to replicate 2007 to 2010, then we have to pick some point where we "un-hook" the replication, right? I mean, once everything is replicated, we need to "take the old stuff out of the picture."

And THEN, when we have setup the folders on the new 2010 server, then I suppose we need to set at least one other 2010 server to replicate, so that we have redundancy, since the whole DAG scenario is not supported; right?

More detail, besides just "links" would be greatly appreciated. I will read the links (I always do), but any prior experience with this would save a lot of effort, so that we know the pitfalls, shortcuts and so forth. I don't mind trudging through tons of Microsoft Technet docs and other docs, but an ounce of experience from "the masters" on these forums is worth a pound of reading through sometimes less-than-friendly docs!

tnjman
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:32 PM
  • In the process of doing this now

You need to create the Public Folder database first (none by default).

Open powershell on the new server

[PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts>.\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -server OldServer -TopPublicFo

lder "\" -ServerToAdd NewServer

And to move system folders

[PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts>.\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -server OldServer -TopPublicFo

lder "\NON_IPM_SUBTREE" -ServerToAdd NewServer

To check use

Get-PublicFolder -Recurse | fl Name, Replicas

On the old server.

Wait for replication to finish

This is where I am up to.

Next will be to remove the replicate from the older server (a another script that is included).

• Proposed as answer by Alexis-1M Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:11 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 9:53 PM