none
Internet Explorer Run/Save/Cancel buttons don't work. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got a laptop that I need to repair and it ran very slow. I took some malware, virusses and PUA (Potentionally unwanted/unsafe applications) off on an external computer with Malwarebtytes and ESET, I also ran sfc /scannow (with /offwindir and /offbootdir switches) and it returned no errors. When I placed the harddisk back in the laptop I ran another scan in safe mode, with Malwarebytes, and it found some more threats (non-malware), I also removed some applications I didn't trust manually in normal mode afterwards.

Then I wanted to download a file in Internet Explorer (v11) and I could browse sites and everything, it asked me if I want to configure/start add-ons, this all worked fine, the thing that doesn't work is the popup (Run/Save/Cancel) when I want to download a file the whole popup doesn't respond (not even the red close cross), the buttons are click-able and I see them being clicked, nothing happens.

I've tried a lot of things to solve this problem: sfc /scannow (with offline switches and when placed in laptop no errors, twice), reset IE via inetcpl.cpl > advanced settings (a few times), Restore advanced settings, Windows Updates, iexplore -extoff, I even removed IE 11 and reverted to IE10 the problem remained, I upgraded to IE11 and the problem remained. I cleaned all IE related files with CCleaner, which I also used to clean the registry after the malware scans. In safe mode the buttons also don't work. When I start Internet Explorer, it asks if I want to enable Ask Toolbar Quick View. I removed everything related to Ask Toolbar and I couldn't find this Ask Toolbar Quick View in Control Panel > Programs and Features if I open regedit and look for "ask", I get nothing related to this toolbar thing.

I've spent hours looking for a solution and tried everything I can think of, if anyone has experience with this problem or has tips to solve this issue, please share. I'll do likewise if I get to a solution.

Regards,

Ranko

Monday, February 2, 2015 9:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Could you make sure you have removed Ask Toolbar Quick View?

Please refer to this to remove it completely using its official tool:

http://superuser.com/questions/452113/cant-get-rid-of-ask-toolbar-in-windows-8

And then, what's your Operating System, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

In safe mode the buttons also don't work.

Did you mean you boot the Windows into Safe Mode and the Internet Explorer download still not work? Did this download issue occur for all websites or one specific?

Make sure you have installed all available latest Windows Updates and then run Internet Explorer troubleshooter as article below:

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

If it persists, I suggest you use the recovery media to repair your installation.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 6:34 AM
  • Excuse me for not mentioning the OS, the installed OS is Windows 7 Home Premium (x64). I booted into "Safe Mode with Network availability", I tried downloading files from www.adobe.com and www.ninite.com, both would result in the issue as mentioned before.

I'll try the steps mentioned in the article about the Ask Toolbar and IE troubleshooter and report back after I'm done, thank you for your help so far.

EDIT: I opened the browser extension screen once again and I noticed something that I didn't really look at, the Ask Toolbar Quick View is listed in the "Microsoft Corporation" publisher part and if I enable it, it also asks if I want to enable Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper and Office Document Cache Handler (for some reason I may not post screenshots, I wanted to place one to make it more clear, I hope this explanation will suffice).

• Edited by Ranko Bakker Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:47 PM Further details/screenshot
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:56 PM
  • Hi Ranko,

No, this tool is not belong to Microsoft. If you needn't, I suggest you follow my previous reply to remove it completely.

In addition, have you tried the suggestion I provided? How is the current situation?

Look forward to receiving your reply.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 6, 2015 7:15 AM