Incoming Email Setup - Primary SMTP Address RRS feed

• Question

• We have setup incoming email to use the directory management service to create new contacts in an OU.  Right now it creates the contacts ok but is it possible to have it assign a different primary SMTP address to the contacts?  Right now it's creating a contact with a name of SPLISTNAME@SHAREPOINTSERVERNAME.xxx.corp.local.  We need to to create them using a friendly domain name or alias if possible and not the sharepoint server name: SPLISTNAME@microsoft.com (that's an example)

Is this possible?  Or is changing the primary email address for contacts created by SharePoint always a manual effort?

Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:23 PM

Answers

• Hi GrayreverandSoftwareGuy,

I fully understand your concerns, but it cannot be set automatically when the contact is created from SharePoint. We need to create the email address from exchange admin center one by one.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:23 AM

All replies

You can change the Primary SMTP Address, refer to the following steps. 

Run the following PowerShell with exchange management shell to set the EmailAddressPolicyEnabled to $false:

Get-Mailbox | Set-Mailbox -EmailAddressPolicyEnabled $False 

Then You can change the Primary SMTP Address from Exchange admin center:

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 20, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

I know how to change it, my question is whether or not it can be set automatically when the contact is created from SharePoint.  Right now it always creates the email address using the SMTP server name in it.  I don't want that.  I want it to create the email contacts with an alias as the default each time.  Is that possible?

Monday, November 20, 2017 2:24 PM

I fully understand your concerns, but it cannot be set automatically when the contact is created from SharePoint. We need to create the email address from exchange admin center one by one.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:23 AM

Is there something update?

Please remember to mark the helpful post as an answer.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Monday, December 4, 2017 9:54 AM