Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2012 R2 Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Why does Windows Server 2008 R2 upgrade only seem to work in my Test environment?

After testing I proceeded to install on a low critical production server with Hyper V on it and it worked for one day and I keep getting "unable to start all the vm's with the error - "The application encountered an error while attempting to change the state" Microsoft has worked on it and they tell me that it is not passing the server ID to the VM, and they don't know why.

Irrationally I moved to an IIS server (non production), and that failed also. This time instead of calling MS I formatted HD and installed from scratch and bingo it operates perfectly first time.  

I am still waiting for MS to contact me without authenticating each time the identical error is still there.  

My conclusion, DON'T Upgrade clean install only.. 90% of the upgrades I have done have failed some how.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:40 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem.  I upgraded two Windows Server 2008 R2 IIS web servers using ARR to Windows Server 2012 R2 and I could not connect to resources on either machine.  After hours of troubleshooting, I did a fresh install of Server 2012 R2 and set up the applications and ARR and it worked.  The same thing happened with Hyper-V boxes.  There is definitely something wrong with the upgrade process that needs to be fixed. 
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:48 PM