none
PWA Project Views available fields - some fields not available (Project server 2013) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have noticed that some fields does not exists in the Project views (not project center) available fields, for example "Status" field that is a task level field is not there.

I was wondering why and also if there is any documentation about what type of fields can be added to which pwa views (including custom fields).

I wantto be able to understand the logic of why certain fields cannot be added to views.

Thanks.

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:34 PM

Answers

• The fields that are available are the ones that appear in the list on create or modify a view page. Sometimes you can write a formula that calls a field not on the list. As it turns out, one of your examples [status] does return a value in a formula, meaning that you can add this to a Project view. You will need to create a formula that calls and then interprets the value to something meaningful to an end user. Keep in mind that task-level formulas add a burden to the calculation engine. Use these sparingly to maintain performance.

So there is a ways to know, you simply need to do a little work.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Ofir,

To answer your question it would simply depend on the what Entity and Type has been selected while the field was being defined. If you have a field with Entity type 'Project' would appear for Project views only, if it is 'Task', it would be for task views only similar for Resource. 

Again you can always go and define your own custom views to include fields that are not part of a view by default. 

Regards,

Faizan.

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 5:25 AM
  • Ofir:

In some cases these are arbitrary decisions made by the product team. Sometimes you can call these into custom fields, but it is a trial and error type of thing.

Project Server Help BLOG

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:16 AM
  • Hi

Faizen - i am aware of the relation between entities and types of views.

I am referring to fields that are relevant for the type of view project fields for project center views, task fields for project views (displaying the tasks), in a drill down to a project views i can't see some of the built in fields available to select (Like "Status") or some custom fields.

and i don't understand the mechanism or logic behind it, i don't know if task entity fields with a specific type (Text, number, ...) cannot be added to views and others can.

Gary - so you are saying there is no way to know which fields can be available and which of them cannot?

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:29 AM
  • The fields that are available are the ones that appear in the list on create or modify a view page. Sometimes you can write a formula that calls a field not on the list. As it turns out, one of your examples [status] does return a value in a formula, meaning that you can add this to a Project view. You will need to create a formula that calls and then interprets the value to something meaningful to an end user. Keep in mind that task-level formulas add a burden to the calculation engine. Use these sparingly to maintain performance.

So there is a ways to know, you simply need to do a little work.

Project Server Help BLOG

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:28 PM
  • Thank you for the explanation.

I am aware of the formula field influence on performance and i thought we might have a better way to add MS build in fields to the views and to understand why some fields are missing, which i know understand that it is a decision of the MS product managers and developers, if this is the only way i will use a formula field. 

Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:38 AM
  • Thank you for the explanation.

I am aware of the formula field influence on performance and i thought we might have a better way to add MS build in fields to the views and to understand why some fields are missing, which i know understand that it is a decision of the MS product managers and developers, if this is the only way i will use a formula field. 

Ofir,

You're not the only one seeking the information for this obsolescent tool.  I was glad to finally see your inquiry finally answered correctly, I knew what you were asking in the beginning and indeed in the same entity, certain relative fields do not exist to add.  The fact MS made a poor decision in "not" adding relative fields in nothing short of poor design/programming.  The fact a Task View includes Predecessor and not Successor is just mind-blowing and we shouldn't need a custom formula to add a relative field.  Glad you posted the inquiry, it helped me figure out it wasn't anything I was doing wrong.

Monday, September 19, 2016 12:52 PM
  • yeah, i totally agree with what you are saying, but i guess we don't have anything to do with it.

Glad this post was helpful.  

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:02 AM