none
Move Protected data between protected servers. RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my situation:

3 Servers:

ServerA

ServerB

DPMSERVER

I am protecting about 18 Tb of Data on SAN attached disk on ServerA to DPMServer

I need to move the SAN disks from ServerA to ServerB and continue protection without the replica having to be recreated and using double the short term data storage in DPMServer.

My first thought was to:

1. Unprotect ServerA and uninstall the DPM agent while retaining the protected data on DPMServer.

2. Rename ServerA to ServerC and rename ServerB to ServerA.

3. Install the protection agent and recreate the protection groups on DPMServer and perfrom a consistence check on all data.

Would this be a process worth trying or is there a better way.

Thanks for any help.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Unfortunatly, there is no easy way to do exactly what you want to do because DPM keeps track of data sources based on protected server ID based on AD account and Volume GUID.  If either of those two change - then the data source will be a new data source to DPM.  

Now, the rename won't work because the Active directly machine SID follows the machine name, and DPM will still detect the new machine using the original name as a different protected server.  The only way you might be able to get this work is to do a BMR backup of ServerA, restore it on ServerB, and retire ServerA.   Then, assuming DPM sees the new machine as the original serverA (IE: The agent refresh says OK) - then you can move the SAN storage to the new machine. Windows PNP will give it a new volume GUID, but you can use this powershell script to re-associate the new volume GUID with the original replica on the DPM Server.

Using Migrate-Datasource
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd282969.aspx

Migrate-Datasource is a command-line script that lets you continue protecting a data source (file, folder, volume, or share) to the same replica volume even after it has been migrated to a different volume on the same protected computer. You have to run the Migrate-Datasource script even if you have not changed the drive letters of the volume because DPM recognizes volumes by the GUID and not the drive letter.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:54 PM