International Lync Users RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Lync site in the US, with several users located outside the US that are Lync enabled with Enterprise Voice.  Their phone numbers in Active Directory are correct for their location, example: 3210300000 for a number in Europe.

Is there a way to configure Lync, so if a user in the US clicks on the contact for a user in Europe, it will automatically dial 011 first, and at the same time, if a user in Europe calls another user in Europe, it will not add 011?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:48 PM

All replies

• I assume that you have multiple gateways to the PSTN (one in the US and another one in Europe).  You accomplish this with trunk translation rules. For your gateway in the US, you would setup a rule that would add 011 to outgoing international calls.  On your Europe gateway, you would add whatever number is required for that particular area. 

For a good example of how to do this, read my blog post about routing.  http://ucken.blogspot.com/2011/01/enterprise-voice-best-practices-in-lync_21.html

• Proposed as answer by KenLaskoMVP Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Thanks Ken - I'm a big fan of your blog!

What I don't understand is how does Lync know it is an International call, if it does not start with 011?
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Hey John,

Wow!  A fan of my blog?  Cool!  Thanks for that!

That's the beauty of E.164 formatting.  If all your numbers are normalized to proper E.164 format, then you'll know the call is international because it won't start with a +1.  Consistency is key here.  As long as your North American phone numbers are all formatted with +1 at the start, you'll be good to go. 

You'll have 2 trunk translation rules:  The NA one will just send out anything that starts with +1 out as normal (or strip the +...whatever is required).  The International one will take everything else and add 011 to the beginning.

Make sense?

Ken

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:48 PM