Dead link in taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

after updating application iTunes I have a new icon on desktop and the old one in taskbar. The old icon in taskbar is not schown anymore.

My problem is now, I can't remove the icon from taskbar. Right mouse menu does not function. Is there a workaround to remove that icon? (e.g. registry key?)

Thanks
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:13 PM

All replies

• That sounds like some form of registry problem. I would use System Restore to go back to before the update, remove iTunes, and then install the updated version.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:38 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Nick FV Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:38 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:44 PM
  • catweazle71,

Have you checked in the folder? Long path is Drive\users\username\appdata\roaming\microsoft\internet explorer\quick launch\user pinned\taskbar.

• Proposed as answer by Fidel Hasbro Friday, September 11, 2009 6:40 AM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:53 AM
    Answerer
  • I had the same problem, eventually I was able to click on the old icon and it said something about referencing a nonexistent item and offered to remove it.  I did run a registry cleaner before this worked so that probably had something to do with it, before the cleanup clicking did nothing as you said.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:00 AM
  • \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

After deleting it form here I was able to remove it with the prompt after clicking the dead Taskbar Icon...

Thanks for the direction
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:40 AM