Why do some processes report in procexp with the 8.3 naming convention RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with COMODO Internet Security suite.  Their firewall will not apply rules to some processes.  When looking at these processes in procexp, the Properties/Image dialogue shows their PATH in 8.3 DOS naming convention.  While COMODO should clearly be able to deal with these names, I cannot wait till a developer gets around to fixing this bug.  Does anyone here have an idea what I have to do (to the file system, I assume?) so that these few processes concerned report their Long File Names in procexp?

Thank you.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:54 PM

All replies

• To disable the 8.3 naming convention, open the registry editor (Start menu>run, type in regedit then click ok) and expand the tree until you locate the key below, within it should be the value listed, double click the value name and in the window that comes up change the value from 0 to 1 as I have listed, as with any registry edt, you should create a restore point or back up your registry before proceeding though

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet005\Control\FileSystem]
    "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000001

Dennis ,, Owner: HTML tutorial Please dont forget to mark any post(s) that helped as helpful or answered EMAIL ME:: PERSONAL EMAIL :: BUSINESS EMAIL
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Yes, I could do so.  However, the advice from MS here and on other forums is that this may be more trouble than it's worth:  apparently a number of OS services (never mind older apps) depend on 8.3 naming conventions.  My question remains: out of 200 odd processes running on my box, only two report with 8.3 names.  Why?  Here's an exercise I did earlier:

Launch C:/Program Files/Squeezebox/server/SqueezeSvr.exe the "official" way via SqueezeTray.exe and I see in procexp "PROGRA~1/..." -- bad.

Launch C:/Program Files/Squeezebox/server/SqueezeSvr.exe from explorer.exe and I see in procexp "PROGRA~1/..." -- bad.

Copy C:/Program Files/Squeezebox/server/SqueezeSvr.exe to a.exe then launch a.exe from explorer.exe and I see "C:/Program Files/Squeezebox/server/a.exe" in procexp -- good.

Rename SqueezeSvr.exe to SqueezeSvr-old.exe and a.exe to SqueezeSvr.exe then launch SqueezeSvr.exe from explorer.exe and I get C:/Program Files/Squeezebox/server/SqueezeSvr.exe in procexp -- good.

Launch the new image the "official" way via SqueezeTray.exe and I see in procexp "PROGRA~1/..." - Arrrrghhh!!

Any idea what's going on here?  The other process, incidentally, is MS OUTLOOK 2002.  It feels as though somewhere there's a cache busily recalling 8.3 names.  But why?  And where?

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Yes, I could do so.  However, the advice from MS here and on other forums is that this may be more trouble than it's worth:  apparently a number of OS services (never mind older apps) depend on 8.3 naming conventions.  My question remains: out of 200 odd processes running on my box, only two report with 8.3 names.  Why?  Here's an exercise I did earlier:

I disable the 8.3 naming convetntion on most all of my machines, I use Outlook and have never had a problem. I have never seen an instance of diabling the 8.3 naming causing a problem, not to say it doesnt happen, but with all the systems that I have disabled it with (a lot ) there has never been one. services have always ran properly, and applications also
    actually disabling the 8.3 file naming convention on newer systems ( since the onset of  the NTFS file system) does not negatively affect the system in any serious way.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tes8ehwe(VS.85).aspx

Dennis ,, Owner: HTML tutorial Please dont forget to mark any post(s) that helped as helpful or answered EMAIL ME:: PERSONAL EMAIL :: BUSINESS EMAIL
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Ok, if you haven't had any problems, I might give it try tomorrow.  Thanks.  Doesn't quite answer the question, but will hopefully work around the problem.  
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Ok, I flipped the switch and ... no difference.  Not surprising, perhaps, there's a clue in the key name: ...Creation.  That is, it only really affects new files.  I'd have to effectively recreate every affected binary (by means of a copy operation etc).
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:27 PM
  • This machine is having a right laugh at me.  Turned off 8.3 support, rebooted, then renamed the executable in question, renamed it back to the original name, checked with dir /x that the 8.3 name is indeed gone (yes it is), started the executable ... procexp shows a 8.3 name for the executable !!!  It's also not ANY old 8.3 name - it's the one that was last associated with that file.

I still managed to "fix" the issue by taking a copy of the original .exe, then deleting the old one and renaming the new image.  Finally the executable registers with its LFN in COMODO.  For now.  Let's see what the next reboot will bring...

This experience conclusively demonstrates to me that somewhere there is a cache in Win XP that remembers old 8.3 associations.  I am convinced that it is that very cache that is at the heart of all my travails.  Does anyone have any idea what this cache is?

Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:25 PM
  • DO NOT disable 8.3 support on a machine that has MS Office installed on it.  It may very well be alright to do so on a clean install but on a machine that had MS Office installed with 8.3 on, turning it off afterwards and removing the 8.3 references has disastrous consequences.

And after a reboot, even the non-MS binary identifies itself once again as /PROGRA~1/...  It's hopeless.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:12 PM