Vista not booting. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

My brothers computer started giving the blue screen while booting.  He claims to have not updated recently or installed any other software for that matter.  He is getting the following error code:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x8223AAE8, 0x80744A20, 0x8074471c)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Generally speaking, blue screen stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, I would like to propose some common troubleshooting steps here. However, if the issue persists, it may need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. Thus I may need to suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Meanwhile, to move on, I recommend that you take the following suggestions to narrow down it.

1. Boot in Safe Mode to do a System Restore.

1)     Restart the computer and press F8 to choose Safe Mode.

2)     Please click on Start and choose All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Windows Backup.

3)     Click Restore on the left pane.

4)     Choose Basic Restore.

5)     Follow the wizard and click Next.

6)     If you would like to restore everything in the backup, we can check the box “Restore everything in this backup” on the top of the window.

7)     We can also browse and choose certain files and folders to restore. Then, click Next.

8)     Then choose the folder to save the recovered files and click Next.

9)     When we see a “Restore is complete!” message, click Finish.

If you can't boot in Safe Mode doing System Restore, let's enter Windows PE to perform System Recovery.

1)     Please insert the Windows Vista DVD and reboot the computer.

2)     When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3)     Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4)     Please highlight "Windows Vista" and click "Next".

5)     In the dialog box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following commands. Please press the Enter key after entering the following command.

CHKDSK C: /R

6)     Click Y and then check if the system is able to check the hard disk.

By the way, I'd like to share an article related to this blue screen error with you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962943

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Friday, June 26, 2009 2:50 AM