none
Unable to change how much disk space temp internet file smay use RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

The exact title of my question would be

Unable to change temporary internet files disk size, error message: please select a value between 8 and 8 for how much disk space Temporary Internet Files may use

I've been searching for an answer to the above question.  I've tried a few solutions to no avail.

I ran into this one today ( I hope I can post links)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/all/unable-to-change-temporary-internet-files-disk/398e8fab-04ab-40fd-a387-f559cdfd93ff?page=2

The poster suggests that ProcMon be used to determine if a certain error exists.

The poster illustrates the find as:

High Resolution Date & Time: 2/20/2016 3:45:52.4576258 PM
    Event Class: Registry
    Operation: RegOpenKey
    Result: ACCESS DENIED
    Path: HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    TID: 7920
    Duration: 0.0000805
    Desired Access: Read 

Obviously the poster is light years ahead of me.  I downloaded Procmon tried to read the instructions

but there was no joy in Mudville because I struck out every time I was at bat.

I would appreciate any help in clarifying the workings of Procmon to determine if this problem outlined above

(as indicated by the long version of the question) is the problem I have.

The solution in question is the last post on page two of the above captioned discussion.  The poster's name is Bruce H 

Thanks ver much

raiderfan

Monday, June 24, 2019 5:37 PM

All replies

• It's hard enough trying to answer small precise questions, but giving a training course via forum posts it's almost impossible.

If you have no previous experience with the tools, first thing first, I would start with the basics:

Troubleshooting with the Windows Sysinternals Tools 2nd Edition

https://www.amazon.com/Troubleshooting-Windows-Sysinternals-Tools-Russinovich-ebook/dp/B01MAU3YND

There you will learn how to use Process Monitor, how to create filters that can help narrowing down your problem and so on..Now, I just tried creating a filter on my machine that would get the problem like in the post you pointed out, and as you can see below, I've different Access Denied on those keys, so I'm not sure at all that can be your solution, but if you wanna give it a try, just create a filter like below and let ProcMon run while you repro the problem..

Thanks
    -mario

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:34 AM