none
Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration - AppData Local goes to redirected profile

Question

• Hi All,

I have an issue with users who used to use Windows 7 and now they logon to Windows 10.

Their AppData Local will go to redirected profile, although the group policy is configured to exclude the following values:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "ExcludeProfileDirs"="AppData\\Local;AppData\\LocalLow;$Recycle.Bin"

Do you know goes how to stop it from happening? Some users have 5GB .ost files and it also slows down the login time.

I've checked some many threads and I can't find anything. Should .v2 and .v5 profiles should be in seperate folders on the network share? Let's say .V2 goes to \\storage\profiles and .V5 goes to \\storage\10profiles\ ?

Thanks!

Friday, January 08, 2016 9:24 AM

Answers

• > why do you configure roaming profile and folder redirection simultaneously.

Because this is best practice - as soon as you use roaming profiles, the
    size of the profile matters heavily on logon/logoff. Thus Microsoft
    recommends to use folder redirection to reduce the roaming part of the
    profile - for more than 10 years...

I understand that this comment is not helpful for the TO - but I've
    never seen Local Appdata roaming with the profile.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:58 PM

All replies

• Anybody?
    Monday, January 11, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Hi JG,

Would you please tell us how was Appdata Local folder redirection configured?

As far as I know, there is no native way to redirect Appdata local folder.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:28 AM
  • Hi Jay

There is no configuration to redirect AppData Local folder. We only use GPO to redirect user documents etc.

ntuser has got the following content:    
    [General]
    ExclusionList=AppData\Local;AppData\LocalLow;$Recycle.Bin;OneDrive;Work Folders

This is also restricted by the group policy, although doesn't always work because some users .ost files will go to redirected profile anyway.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Hi JG,

Would you please tell us the path of Appdata folder and Appdata local folder?

Thank you,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:50 AM
  • Hi Jay

Yeah sure.

It is:

\\network-share\profiles$\username.v5\AppData\

\\network-share\profiles$\username.v5\AppData\Local

\\network-share\profiles$\username.v5\AppData\LocalLow

\\network-share\profiles$\username.v5\AppData\Roaming

We should just end up with Roaming in AppData and Local and LocalLow should be kept on the local C: drive.

I can see that when I edit user in Active Directory Users and Comptuers, profile path still points to \\network-share\profiles$\username, although Windows 10 created .v5 at the end of the folder name. Should this be changed for every user that goes to Windows 10?

Is there actually a need to profile in Windows 10, if everything is being redirected by redirected documents policy?

Here is the summary of my environment:

There are two folders, 1 for user data, 1 for user profile:

\\network-share\profiles$\

\\network-share\users$\

There is 1 group policy [User Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection] which configures:

- AppData(Roaming)

- Contacts

- Desktop

- Favorites

- Links

- Music

- Pictures

- Saved Games

- Start Menu

- Videos

To go to \\network-share\users$\%USERNAME%\

Then we have this profiles$ folder, which contains the folders I mentioned earlier at the beginning of this post. The only link to this folder is configured via the actual user accounts in AD as I mentioned earlier too.

Is that anymore helpful? :)

• Edited by JG112015 Friday, January 15, 2016 10:08 AM more detail
    Friday, January 15, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Hi JG,

Based on my test, there is only Appdata/roaming in user roaming profile.

Best Regards,

Jay

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:01 AM
  • Hi Jay

Do you know what could be the issue then?

Best Regards,

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:04 PM
  • Hi JG,

I think this may be related with folder redirection, I am confused that why do you configure roaming profile and folder redirection simultaneously.

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Hi Jay

Is it something that shouldn't be configured this way? Sorry, it's just how I inherited this system a while ago and now we are having issues. Please advise as I am open to suggestions :) So basically, should we only have either AppData redirection, or roaming profile? We should have 2 at the same time?

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:34 AM
  • > why do you configure roaming profile and folder redirection simultaneously.

Because this is best practice - as soon as you use roaming profiles, the
    size of the profile matters heavily on logon/logoff. Thus Microsoft
    recommends to use folder redirection to reduce the roaming part of the
    profile - for more than 10 years...

I understand that this comment is not helpful for the TO - but I've
    never seen Local Appdata roaming with the profile.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:31 PM
  • Hi Martin

Thanks for your reply.

Can you think of anything that could be checked to verify what causes Local AppData to roam to with profile?

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:39 PM
  • > Can you think of anything that could be checked to verify what causes
    > Local AppData to roam to with profile?

Really sorry about that - no :(

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:13 PM
  • Maybe the same Problem.

I've got an event 1509 at a client saying that c:\users\username\APPDATA\LOCAL\tiledatalayer\database\edb.log couldn't be copied to \\profilepath\username.v5\APPDATA\LOCAL\tiledatalayer\database\edb.log. On the server share there is no appdata\local folder. It looks like the client tries to copy from appdata\local but can't.

We have also roaming profiles with folder redirection. But we don't have an exclusion list containing appdata\local because I thought, that anyway only appdata\roaming is roaming and not local or locallow.

Searching for my problem I've found this thread. Looks like the similar problem except that it doesn't succeed to copy to the share.

Thanks

Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:30 AM
  • Anybody - Is there any fix for this problem?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:17 AM